DNO (EDF) CHARGE FOR SERVICE FUSE UPGRADE

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkytim

Reaction score
Just tried to arrange for upgrade of service Fuse from 60 to 100 Amp after rewiring cooker circuit ready for 12 Kwatt Range, (Existing 9.5 kw Shower + usual domestic load), previously NON chargeable, to be informed now a chargeable Job!

cant see the problrm myself. if customer wants the work done, then they should have to pay. depending on existing service head, it may only be rated to 80A and need changed. or the cable may need changed. or the network may need upgraded.

No problem for me Andy just more expense to customer, having told customer NO charge expected ( As per the last 30 years + in my area).

Incoming cable looks ok standard PILS I have seen change of head to Series 7 100 Amp 1361 type 2 with no problem, just abit peeved they now are starting to charge for.

Was asking if OTHER DNOs normally charge?

Thanks

Is there any way of telling andy? If the fuse could be upped safely or is it not possible to tell? Cheers
some holders just wont take a 100A fuse. but even if it can, the incoming supply may not be adequate. only DNO can answer that

I had a new Cut-Out, about a Year ago?

Asked them to up it from a 60A. They did. Put an 80A in.

It is rare that they fit a 100A to a Domestic.

But there is/was no charge - My DNO is WPD.

Had a fuse upgrade for a customer 60 - 80amp no charge

told DNO about the head and it needs looking at

whole street to go off while they replace it

Central Networks

great lot of helpful blokes

I believe our DNO is now Electricity Noth West who have taken over from Unitied Utilities. The below link should take you to a gde for their prices. They want

All down to government i'm afraid they made these companies like this. They have to fight between each other to get custom so like any company they will charge what they can to make a profit.

IMHO bottom line is....

Customer requests some sort of change or move of head/fuse/meter ..

then liable to being charged at the discretion of the bods doing the work or the admin girls.....

However exactly the same work undertaken to rectify a fault then customer don't pay a Jot!

I understand this to be the modus operandi of most utility companies for many a while now.....

ITS PROGRESS! :|

Had EON upgrade a 60 A BS1361 to an 80 A BS1361 about a year ago and no charge was made . But things are a changing , the country is skint , a lot of firms are skint and the poor old British public are loosing their jobs so they're skint where will it end !!!

million dollar question^

but i think you meant large companies are not making extremely obscene profits at presents :coffee

This work could and would be done free of charge in a fault situation. It is rather like the banks increasing their charges for those with greatest need for assistance, The less well off, Small businesses etc, just because they can, not because they have to. A sign of the current economic climate no doubt?

Doc H.

The DNO will guarantee a 100 amp supply, how they fuse their equipment is their business. We at meter plus (DNO is yorkshire Electricity) remove all 100 amp fuses and replace with 80 amp, if we find 60's we leave in place, we dont have the authorisation to upgrade,

(should it be an outside cab with 16s going through the cavity the we downgrade to 60s).

The DNO will guarantee a 100 amp supply, how they fuse their equipment is their business. We at meter plus (DNO is yorkshire Electricity) remove all 100 amp fuses and replace with 80 amp, if we find 60's we leave in place, we dont have the authorisation to upgrade,(should it be an outside cab with 16s going through the cavity the we downgrade to 60s).
why change it to 80A?

do you tell the customer that your changing the fuse rating?

do you then charge to change it from 80 back to 100 if needed?

We change it to 80 amp because ditribution tell us to, as regards telling the customer, no its non of their business, its not their equipment. To the best of my knowlege they dont upgrade to 100.

So are you going to be going round replacing those fuses once they blow after running the electric UFH, Cooker, 2 showers and electric water heaters all at the same time?

If you did that at my house, you may be taking the 100A fuse with you but your nuts would be left on my mantle.