Dog tick removal

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've found a couple of ticks on our dog and were wondering what the best wat to remove them is?

After doing a bit of research on t'internet it's doing my head in.. loads of different opinions including vinegar, savlon, lit cigarette, tweezers and just pulling out (with a twist) - to mention just a few..

So before I go and do something I shouldn't,, what's the vets opinion!

Cheers,

Nick

I'm sure patch will be along shortly.

If it is any help I regulary remove ticks from my dog. I got my tick removal tools from the vet which consists of two different sizes of removal tools, these are basicaly a piece of plastic with a v slot in one side, pick the appropiate tool depending on tick size, slide the V along the skin and under the tick head, twist anti clockwise and off it comes, sometimes it takes two or three attempts. Be patient as you want the whole tick including head of in one go. I have had to use tweezers before as the tick was an akward size or in between the tool sizes.

I am sure Patch will advise not to put anything on the tick as it may cause the tick to spew its infection into your dog, I take the tick of then give the wound site a wee wipe with a mediwipe. On some walks (deer areas) I have had to take of about 5 or 6 ticks after the walk. I have noticed that the ticks come in 3 main sizes, wee tiny brown ones size if a pin head, tweezers for them, bit bigger black ones, and beefer brown ones about the size of a big match head. Once I get them of they all receive a ritual burning in the mediwipe. Handy hint, when you take them off and before burning I put them onto a bit of insulating tape so that they can't escape very handy if there is 2 or 3 to remove.

My dog makes it easy for us when we do it, as she has it done that many times that she just goes into a totaly relaxed and chilled state, my brother in laws dog puts up a bit more of a fight.

PS I have had to take ticks of my own body as well.

Hope this helps Steve

Whilst you're waiting for the proper vet, secondhand info from my vet:

1. Pour a generous measure of whisky (preferable single malt)

2. Dip a ball of cotton wool in the whisky and dab liberally around the tick so that it is soaked, do not put the cotton wool back into the whisky!

3. Drink the whisky slowly, savouring the complex flavour.

4. Remove the tick, which has by now loosened it's grip, by gripping between your fingers and twisting gently - make sure you can see it's head.

Job done.

It works with surgical spirit as well, but that tastes awfulROTFWL

Noz - sorry for the delay replying, really hectic ATM!

The best tool is a tick remover called a 'O Tom' as suggested by Roys.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OTOM-TICK-REMOVER-PKT2-All-profit-charity-BADA-UK-/180552101052?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item2a09be6cbc

You can buy them off ebay almost as cheap as I can get them cost :(

Never use tweezers or your fingers - you can squeeze juice back into the dog and cause a really nasty reaction.

The alcohol works ok but I would go for the O Tom every time (never use the little one BTW!)

I was told to use a generous helping of butter on a tick that my fat choccy lab had last summer. We were miles from anywhere, camping and had butter to hand. Spread it on and left it a few mins and the tick then just dropped out. Have to be mindful of infection though and as I understand it, not all ticks carry Lymes disease?

Have to be mindful of infection though and as I understand it, not all ticks carry Lymes disease?
Very true and they have to be attached for >48 hours to spread disease.

Lymes Disease is rare in people and dogs in this country!

'Patch,What about the butter bit?^^
Well I know people use things like Vaseline smeared around the tick to suffocate it - butter would work so long as it didn't melt too quickly.

The old cowboy trick using a lit cigarette works too, but I would still recomend a proper tick remover.

Tick%20suck.jpg

Thanks, makes sense that it suffocates, did not think of that bit, guess they breathe through thier skin.

Never had the problem myself as far as I know.

Though tick remover sounds the best bet.

Where did U get the pic from!

Awsesome but gross!

Looks like a computer generated image or an electron microscope pic?

Thanks, makes sense that it suffocates, did not think of that bit, guess they breathe through thier skin.Never had the problem myself as far as I know.

Though tick remover sounds the best bet.

Where did U get the pic from!

Awsesome but gross!

Looks like a computer generated image or an electron microscope pic?
Yes computer generated. They breath through their mouth, just not the serrated bit they insert into the skin. To suffocate them you need a thick layer around the base.

The image is a computer generated one but some of the SEN pics are amazing

This is a louse on a hair shaft with false colour

Two+pubic+lice+on+human+hair.jpg