xp service pack 3

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all

Using childrens computer today with windows xp operating system. Computer asked if wanted to download update service pack 3 which i did. I went to work and when i got home computer was not loading correctly and would not start. Has anyone else had this problem, i managed to get it going by using recovery system but have lost a lot of data.

batty

Evening all Using childrens computer today with windows xp operating system. Computer asked if wanted to download update service pack 3 which i did. I went to work and when i got home computer was not loading correctly and would not start. Has anyone else had this problem, i managed to get it going by using recovery system but have lost a lot of data.

batty
Batty, why have you lost data, and what exacty?

As for SP3, I didn't encounter any problems, although a subsequant Windows update stopped my internet from working..

:eek: :O

Hello ext15

Windows would not start up and only way i could get it to start was by using recovery mode. It seems to have reloaded windows, most items are still there but my sons reviews for dooyoo which where stored and not posted and my daughters itunes have also gone.

batty

Hello ext15Windows would not start up and only way i could get it to start was by using recovery mode. It seems to have reloaded windows, most items are still there but my sons reviews for dooyoo which where stored and not posted and my daughters itunes have also gone.

batty
OK, your best bet is to look here (unless someone else, during the course of the next few days knows better)...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=SP3+issues+with+XP%3F&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

:)

I must say Batty, you have experienced a major crash, which makes me think, all was not right in the first place, unless the download etc was corrupted..

:_|

I think you are right about computer not being right in the first place. It always seems to do strange things to me. Trouble is you do not no what kids are downloading.

batty

I think you are right about computer not being right in the first place. It always seems to do strange things to me. Trouble is you do not no what kids are downloading.batty
Perhaps the best thing possible, would be to wipe the hard drive and reload windows, saving any data files prior to this..

; \

Evening all Using childrens computer today with windows xp operating system. Computer asked if wanted to download update service pack 3 which i did. I went to work and when i got home computer was not loading correctly and would not start. Has anyone else had this problem, i managed to get it going by using recovery system but have lost a lot of data.

batty
I have had service pack 3 loaded & running fine since 1st July.

on my trusty old laptop, an old SONY jobbie... running XP Professional

also on the kids Dell desktop.. running XP Home.

I think the Dell was also updated around beginning of July.

The updates usually verify themselves when they run and log a success or failure on your update history..

was this with Automatic updates enabled?

Have you tried going manually to Windows update site.

You should be able to view update history... with an option from the Left hand side.. see if the update site thinks it failed???

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

I cant remember but I think SPack3 needed a restart part-way though or at the end to complete the update...

Has you PC got stuck part way though the process?

Did anyone mess with it while it was still loading?

You could try manually restart the update.

but sit with it..

watch what happens see if any errors come up?

If there was a major problem with Spack 3

a further update would probably be out by now!!

So I am inclined to think it is a PC related problem not the updates! ?:|

I must say Batty, you have experienced a major crash, which makes me think, all was not right in the first place, unless the download etc was corrupted.. :_|
I agree with the first point of Ext's.

Also agree with you too Batty. When People download music etc - you never know what viruses etc are downloaded too. :_|

I have been asked to update to SP3 for a couple of weeks now - Is it anygood, Guys?

Didn't do anything bad to my computer. Though these things were usually security updates etc and ran in the background?

Oh I did have to ok a few internet pages with my firewall. That's it for me.

:^O

It says to make a back up of everyting that I have - Does it wipe it all clean then or is it just them covering their backs? (and it doesn't lose any data - although there is a risk of it).

It says to make a back up of everyting that I have - Does it wipe it all clean then or is it just them covering their backs? (and it doesn't lose any data - although there is a risk of it).
Backside covering. I ignored it and had no problems :D

Catch you later Mate. I'm off for a fag. :D

Let it run and install.

The common mistake of most users in running updates especially service packs is resetting before completion.

Just because it appears like its doing nothing - you must let it run.

Set it away and go watch tele for an hour.

Don't try and work on it like microsoft says.

Sometimes resources that you are using slow down the installation that much that it simply keels over.