electric radiator - Cable size

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I haven't installed an electric radiator before and I was just wondering - Is it ok to feed it from a socket circuit using 2.5mm cable via a fused spur?

Depending on size, its own radial may be required and probably will be suggested by the instructions.

As Ian says manufactures instructions is the first place to check, power rating would be a key factor. Have you tried looking at manufactures website, many have technical specifications available.

Doc H.

Depending on size, its own radial may be required and probably will be suggested by the instructions.
As Ian says manufactures instructions is the first place to check, power rating would be a key factor. Have you tried looking at manufactures website, many have technical specifications available.Doc H.
I'll look into it a bit further then. I haven't decided on the type of radiator yet, I was just wanting to see what the normal procedure is first.

when you say radiator do you mean an electric towel rail/oil filled raiator or is it a panel heater or a downflow? If its easy enough to wire a dedicated radial then do so if not i would put up to 2kw on a 13A fused spur just make sure the socket your spurring from isn't already a spur! :)

Hi guys, I haven't installed an electric radiator before and I was just wondering - Is it ok to feed it from a socket circuit using 2.5mm cable via a fused spur?
fixed loads of over 2KW should ideally have their own dedicated feed

That only applies to cooking appliances.
How so?

Instructions supplied have to be followed so if they require a dedicated radial then thats what it needs.

At the back of BS7671 where it shows a ring circuit, it says something like - space heaters should preferably not be run of the ring that is protected by 30/32amp fuse/mcb.

Running it of a radial should be ok but then you looking at possible overloading.

I would try and run a separate circuit.

How so?Instructions supplied have to be followed so if they require a dedicated radial then thats what it needs.
Yes, manufacturers instructions over rule every time, however the "2kW rule" is only applicable to cooking appliances.

There is also a similar general rule that includes space heaters, immersion heaters etc, however, loading quantity is not specified.

At the back of BS7671 where it shows a ring circuit, it says something like - space heaters should preferably not be run of the ring that is protected by 30/32amp fuse/mcb.Running it of a radial should be ok but then you looking at possible overloading.

I would try and run a separate circuit.
How can it be ok to run it on a radial circuit but not on a ring circuit?

I think you missed the point. Which is, that it would be on its own dedicated circuit, thus the load is fixed. Unlike a ring where the load is extremely variable.
I though you meant on a radial socket circuit. My apologies! :Blushing

I never did say to override the manufacturers instructions.

I was pointing out that 32A MCB on a 6mm radial circuit is fine and MCB's are not in place to protect any appliance.

However, if the oven needs to be protected by 20A fuse then thats what should be installed as there is obviously no internal protection built in to the appliance, which most have nowadays.