Looking for a career change & need advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusky

Reaction score
Hi,

Due to issues at work I'm looking to re-train as a domestic installer but I'm unsure of what I need to be able to self certify & can't seem to find the info readily available.

The only qualifications I have are GCSEs & HNC Electronics.

Due to financial commitments, I have to work full-time so study will have to be evening rather than day release.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Rusky, Probably best to contact your local college who do City & Guilds electrical installation courses. May be good see them face to face rather than over the phone, ask to speak to the electrical department about what they offer on an evening course. Although you may be to late for getting started on this terms courses. Don't forget our page on college courses and colleges.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5143

Doc H.

city and guilds course supposed to be changing this year, incorporating the NVQ3. apparently you won't be able to get qualified unless you are working in the industry. dunno how this is actually gonna work out. Neither do they from what i can gather so far. think its gonna be called the 2357. remember the competent person scheme is called as such and therefore you have to be COMPETENT, not necessarily QUALIFIED. worth considering.

I'll check out the local college.

But don't you still have to notify LBC if you're apparently competent rather than self certify? Or am I mis-understanding?

Also, we are planning on having a 2 storey extension cone soon & if I do it myself, it will cost less than having a sparky do it.

It may be in with the cost of the price of the Planning etc, for the Extension already, mightn't it? :)

I'll check out the local college.But don't you still have to notify LBC if you're apparently competent rather than self certify? Or am I mis-understanding?

Also, we are planning on having a 2 storey extension cone soon & if I do it myself, it will cost less than having a sparky do it.
Page 11 & 12 approved Doc P gives guidance...

can be got from download section of the forum...

Too intoximicated to find ITT at the monuments! :Blushing :Blushing:BlushingGuinness

It may be in with the cost of the price of the Planning etc, for the Extension already, mightn't it? :)
And the council miss the opportunity to sting me for something else ROTFWL

when they applied for building regs they would have had to tick a box saying if electrics would be certified by installer or requiring local authority, that will affect the price they pay. customer should know which route they are taking prior to applying for regs, usually in the quotation stage. Planning and regs are two separate things and incur two separate costs.

Latest posts