Do you intend changing your stock levels?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember this poll about the average value of cash tied up in stock you have hanging around?....

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9798

Well I have been pondering again on similar lines...

i.e.

With the current economic situation do you think your average stock levels will be:-

Increasing..

Decreasing..

Leave no change..

or bit of both across certain products.. ?

On the one hand...

as work is generally quieter across the board may be best to have less cash tied up in stock that could be sitting on the shelf for longer...

BUT on the other hand...

With the impending VAT increases at the end of the year..

Could be better to stock up to a greater level, then hopefully make a better profit on jobs in the new year?

e.g. cable? anyone plan on increase cables stocks a bit higher before VAT changes?

(obviously more relevant to those not VAT registered! :p )

Any thoughts Gents (& Ladies O) )?

:D

i have more items in stock than before. but there are others that i dont use as much so quantities are a bit less. overall, probably about the same or slightly more

Similar story - as you rightly say, even without the VAT increase, cable is in the process of going up (again) ; so stocking up as best I can at the moment.....

Its really stupid - We`re still busy, but I`ve not got much money at the moment - between car & van tax & MOT; 4 figure van repair bill, 2 weeks not earning, etc, etc........

Not to mention the ubiquitous late payers........Grrrrrrr

KME

I've been trying to reduce stock levels for the last 5 Years or so but can;t seem to do it. I don't actually stock much, but it takes up a garage, 2 sheds and half the back garden.

A lot of it is the odd bit of this and that, like cable I don;t keep vast amounts of but I do have various lengths\reels of SY, SWA, 6242, 6243, 6491, RG59, alarm, CT100, CW1308, cat5, cat6 etc... plus loads of other variations of the above like shotgun coax, different sizes and colours of alarm and BT, duct grade, shielded etc... Most of it is open drums so not really stock as such, just left overs. There's also hundreds of MCB's and RCD's, various new and second hand CU's and other odds and sods. The actual new stock I'd say is pretty much the same as it always was, just the collection of useful stuff keeps growing. There's also many many tools which take up a fair amount of space I suppose.

Still be nice to get rid of it all, just had a tidy out and got rid of just under a ton of scrap\crap. Still loads left!

I basically don't keep stock bar an odd socket, fcu, and cable of course. I follow lean manufacturing principles from my previous career and try to push the wholsalers into keeping what I need and have sussed out who keeps generally keeps what i need when I need it.

I voted that I will increase stocks.

This is because I just started so my stock level is NILL:)

If there had been an option to vote in favour of cats I would have picked thatROTFWL

Just starting up, so I intend to keep minimum stock. Then I will rely on various suppliers depending upon the area I am working in.

I've only got a small van, tools take up most of the floor space.

How come 3 people have chosen "Apache`s option"?? When, As far as I know, we`ve only got one `pache?
Because there's not many on here that can actually read?

The only stock I carry are a few bins on the van with stuff in and stuff left over from jobs in the garage . I only buy for the job in progress . Denmans always phone with special offers but I didn't get where I am today solving other peoples cash flow problems.

I didn't get where I am today solving other peoples cash flow problems.
I have never heard that phrase before, but I do like it, as it is very easy to buy more than you need.

Doc H.