Electric shower - No hot water

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Hi guys - I went to see a customer today who's electric shower isn't working properly. The problem is that it's suddenly stopped providing hot water. Only cold water is coming out, even when the shower dial is on full heat. My first thought would be that there's a problem with the shower itself. Is this likely to be the cause or could it be something else?

Hi guys - I went to see a customer today who's electric shower isn't working properly. The problem is that it's suddenly stopped providing hot water. Only cold water is coming out, even when the shower dial is on full heat. My first thought would be that there's a problem with the shower itself. Is this likely to be the cause or could it be something else?
What else do you suggest other than the shower? Heating chamber, micro switches, thermal cutout, etc could be anything like that.

Doc H.

check thermal cutout. may need reset. failing that, if there is 230v accross heating element, then it needs replaced. and its often easier replacing the shower

Have you done any testing? Is there juice to the shower?What sort of condition is it in? Etc etc
Most showers wont switch the water on without 230v, they have those inlet solenoid valves similar to the back of your washing machine. no power, no water.

Doc H.

Have you done any testing? Is there juice to the shower?What sort of condition is it in? Etc etc
I haven't done any testing yet. It's a rented house. I was calling into the letting agent for something else and he asked me if I could go and have a quick look at it even though I wasn't in my van and didn't have any tools with me. The shower isn't in great nick to be honest. It's just about fixed to the wall for a start and there's no sealant around it....not good. I'm going back again on Monday.

TBH you shouldn't need to have any sealant,, in fact some f the manuacturers instructions specifically state not to use sealant.

I've had this with several Gainsbrough showers, they have a mechanical valve which is operated by the button on the front and a flow switch which puts the power on...

I just replaced the complete shower in the end,, Gainsbrogh are not worth the effort trying to repair.