Fellow computer experts.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long does your PC take to switch on ?

I wonder sometimes what the hell this thing is doing ,gurgling and churning away , sometimes its 15 mins before you can use it.

Is that normal ?

15mins is very long.

id expect a minute or 2 at most

mine used to start in about 10 seconds, but i got a new one and never got round to setting up STR...

failing that, just dont turn it off

look in your task manager

cpu usage and physical memory

run anti malware you may have stuff running in the background

mine takes 5 mins to settle down

had it checked,,,,,,,its full of garbage that needs to be cleared.

you may need more memory

run this

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx

tell us the results

Bith of mine take < 2 mins, but my parents takes > 10 mins.

The thing that is slowing theirs down is their antivirus and some spybot software which insists on a full disk scan every time it's turned on... I'd also do a defrag (manual one)

Also if you want to really give your PC a boost try a version of Linux... Steps loves it! ;)

Noz just reminded me of something

who is your isp ???

are you on a home network with multiple pc's ?

Noz just reminded me of somethingwho is your isp ???

are you on a home network with multiple pc's ?
Not multiples, and its Orange (was Wanadoo) Orange have always been crap but this is just booting up , getting on the net is whole new can worms which I'll open a new thread about.

I support P's for a living, untill I can expand into electrical work :)

Do the defrag, the we can take it from there.

Would Norton be slowing it down , its constantly showing me all the foiled attacks it has squashed.
yep a good cause of it

Norton is well known for that.

Would Norton be slowing it down
Ah, Norton, that'll be it then. Yes people will say it's great and yes, it is, in the sense that it sort of does what it should but it takes up so many resources and it costs money. I have always used free antivirus and have always used Avast, which has a free version. I've used it on many many machines over the years and haven;t had any trouble with any, AVG also do a free offering which is probably equally as good, I've just always preferred Avast slightly.

In addition to that you would do well to run a couple of malware scans, Ad-Aware have a free version which finds a lot of stuff and also has a live monitoring doobrie which coupled with Avasts file monitoring affair works well.

mine quite quick got to be less than 2 mins, maybe to internet. but after time it slows down so i factory reset it and good as new.

my dads is the same spec but diff make and that takes an eternity to load and net is sloooooooooooooowww

Go to run type msconfig

Then select start up

There you will find all the programs that load up when the computer is switched on, these run behind the windows shell.

Untick all the ones you dont use.

The only ones i leave ticked are my antivirus and any microsoft ones

You will be amazed how much quicker it loads