Another " Take care" post.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're doing a PIR today at some offices , about to read r1 + r2 on a radial to a hand drier, my mate ,at the board , flicks the breaker off marked hand drier and shoves our jumper wire from the earth bar in the terminal.

BANG

Oh joy of joys , its not the radial to the hand drier but a leg of a ring main, the other leg being in another mcb and live .

Well, you know what we always say , you gotta test everything or one day its gonna bite back. :_|

We're doing a PIR today at some offices , about to read r1 + r2 on a radial to a hand drier, my mate ,at the board , flicks the breaker off marked hand drier and shoves our jumper wire from the earth bar in the terminal. BANG

Oh joy of joys , its not the radial to the hand drier but a leg of a ring main, the other leg being in another mcb and live .

Well, you know what we always say , you gotta test everything or one day its gonna bite back. :_|
To our younger viewers..

Please Do Not Try this as home.....

We all know Deke's mate is Captain Scarlet....

& he's indestuctable...

To the rest of us mere mortals.....

do your pukka live/dead/live/dead/tester still working tests.

;) :Salute

i have to say, you should have tested the circuit for dead before shorting anything out anywhere ;) first rule of thumb that i always carry out ............................

SAFE ISOLATION ;)

i have to say, you should have tested the circuit for dead before shorting anything out anywhere ;) first rule of thumb that i always carry out ............................SAFE ISOLATION ;)
That

the point of my post ,TBH Badge !!!

My mate has been at it as long as me but complacency creeps in , non of us are perfect. You "assume" its how you would do it, Ah a 16A breaker with one 2.5 in it , marked up as Hand Drier , has to be the radial , .......doesn't it ?

Further testing showed the earth wires all mixed up and not in numerical order, same with the neuts. But a really, really neat board.

It can happen to the best of us as you know I got a tingle of a light fitting because contractors had wired the meter the wrong way round when they had done the overhead cables. I was told test test test which is very true but there are times when you will make a slip up. It does happen but that does not make you any worse than any other sparks just human.