MCS Solar PV

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulSC

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to get some information on training to allow me to design, install and commission Solar PV systems (looking to branch out as domestic jobs are few and far between at the moment).

I've had loads of gumf from Elecsa about MCS001, and the ECA offer a 3 day course for about 750. However, is 3 days enough to gain enough experience? I don't want to simply pass an exam - I'd rather understand the subject inside out before diving in! Also, would a C&G qualification be more 'transferable' if I were to give up self employment?

Maybe I drempt it, but I'm sure I read somewhere that C&G were to offer a new course for Microgeneration from 1st November.

If anyone has any practical advise/experience/C&G course number I'd be hugely grateful as its turning out to be a minefiueld of data.

Kind regards

Paul

The "training course" is nothing to do with MCS themselves; in the same way that doing 2382 doesn`t mean you`ve joined a scam provider.

MCS is a body you must join. To join you must prove competence; one way of doing this is to have a qualification in the subject. There are other requirements, too......

KME

I did City & Guilds 2372 at Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales - Sunday PM to Friday PM. Good course - quite full on; long days but learnt a lot. Hope you like veggie food.

I did City & Guilds 2372 at Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales - Sunday PM to Friday PM. Good course - quite full on; long days but learnt a lot. Hope you like veggie food.
Was thinking of going with the tree huggers aswell, but it's a bit of a trek from Plymouth.

Do the NIC one Binky - it does cover what you need to know (IMO)KME
+1

thats the one I done,

if you know your electrical stuff then theres not that much to learn, you simply apply it differently.

if you need to learn the whats are hows as to connect it all up then you may need to do your 1st year at college again. :D

the electrical side of it is simple enough.

good luck.

default_good%20luck.gif

You will need to become MCS Accredited to fit solar PV panels, and this will entail a three day course in PV Installation, and then booking an inspection with an MCS certification body such as the NICEIC. 80% of this inspection will be on your office systems, paperwork and records, which can be a pain, so visit www.mcsaccredited.com to see how to do it the easy way. 20% of the inspection is on an actual installation, so you will have to have had training, NICEIC run accredited courses all around the country as do City & Guilds and several others. You will also need to be a member of REAL, which will cost around

You will need to become MCS Accredited to fit solar PV panels, and this will entail a three day course in PV Installation, and then booking an inspection with an MCS certification body such as the NICEIC. 80% of this inspection will be on your office systems, paperwork and records, which can be a pain, so visit www.mcsaccredited.com to see how to do it the easy way. 20% of the inspection is on an actual installation, so you will have to have had training, NICEIC run accredited courses all around the country as do City & Guilds and several others. You will also need to be a member of REAL, which will cost around

you do not have to be accredited to fit. :Salute

pedantic? a little. never the less incorrect ;)

Hi Lee,

Apologies you are correct you dont have to be MCS Accredited to fit a solar PV system but you do have to be MCS Accredited to fit it and offer the Feed in Tariffs, and who is going to have a solar PV panel installed if it isnt for the Feed In Tariffs.

Apologies for the mis-wording. ;)

Regards

Easy MCS

;) so have the course got any cheaper yet :x

belated welcome to the forum

Hi Lee,

Typical costs for getting accredited for Solar PV would be approx

i looked at mcs recognised courses but i like a bargain and usually get them so i'm biding my time. accreditation is the simple bit

Only thing to think about is that only 20% of your accreditation is on an installation, the other 80% is on how your company operated with MCS procedures and paperwork so for Solar PV alone you would be looking at 200+ documents. This is the key bit and the area most installers fail on. If you do it yourself it takes about 6 weeks to design all the documents and procedures from scratch or..... we do it for you as part of your MCS Package :)

Regards

Easy MCS

HI Blinky,

If you need any asisstance with your accreditation with NICEIC or want to discuss you quality management system feel free to give us a call, if you mention us to NICEIC they will be able to recommend us aswell.

Regards

Easy MCS

HI Blinky,If you need any asisstance with your accreditation with NICEIC or want to discuss you quality management system feel free to give us a call, if you mention us to NICEIC they will be able to recommend us aswell.

Regards

Easy MCS
Now thats the kind of help this forum is known for.

Welcome to the forum

Latest posts