Indesit WI101 Washing Machine Not Spinning (spin Drying)...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshwizard

Honorary Life Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... Hi Guys,

My Mother phoned me last night to ask me to have a look at her Indesit WI101 Washing Machine as her clothes were coming out wet.

Initial thought was filter blockage or pump.

Went up Today to have a look and cleared the filter (as expected there was very little to remove).

Pump was working, too.

My other thoughts were, Brushes or PCB Board and possibly it could be the sensor to dect an unbalanced load, possibly.

I will have a look at the Carbon brushes Tomorrow, hopefully. Does anyone know of any other reasons as to why the rinse wont work on it?

Many Thanks,

WelshWizard.

Nicely copied and pasted. However, it's more than likely a mainboard fault as Indesit are ****.

Hi Welshie, what wash cycle was used? if it was a woollens wash cycle you will find there is no spin cycle within that programme, this is to protect the woollen items from the high torque of the spin cycle, some people remove woolens at that point and then dry. I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but this happened to me a few years back, I hope this helps cheers (MEERKAT)

I had this kind of fault on our indesit machine..

I was told by a friendly appliance repaired that I should check the brushes first, then the motor speed sensor and if they are ok then it's probably the motor PCB.

Mine was the motor PCB, I managed to get one off eBay for about 35 quid, the proper price was somewhere around 120 quid.

You can pull an armature and skim the commutator and undercut this if you can remove the motor then you can probably strip the motor.

Once the motor is in bits it is probably as well to change the bearings, see my posts in Apache's thread.

Also I think there are a few members near by who could help, I have a lathe to skim the com if you are near, the undercutting can be done literally by hand with a needle file or similar.

That is IF it is the armature.

Is the drum turning on the wash cycle? If it is only the spin cycle not working then I would think it unlikely to be the motor or brushes.

Doc H.

I once had a similar problem and the gf had knocked the spin speed right down!

I have the Haynes Washing Machine manual that I will post to you if that is any help? Has nice pictures, just return it when you are done.

I am now the washing machine expert - will update my thread :D

I had a similar problem a few months ago and the answer was a bit off the wall. Having checked the filter and pump I was heading for the brushes etc when as said by doc Hudson I realised the wash cycle was working, just not emptying out very well. I removed the filter and fished around in the pipe work at the entry with a wire coat hanger, five minutes later I pulled out a face cloth. Somehow it had escaped the drum but not got as far as the filter.

Not very electrical but worth a try before you pull the machine apart.

Mouseman.

Hi Welshie, what wash cycle was used? if it was a woollens wash cycle you will find there is no spin cycle within that programme, this is to protect the woollen items from the high torque of the spin cycle, some people remove woolens at that point and then dry. I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but this happened to me a few years back, I hope this helps cheers (MEERKAT)
Number 8, Mate - "Daily Wash".

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

You can pull an armature and skim the commutator and undercut this if you can remove the motor then you can probably strip the motor.Once the motor is in bits it is probably as well to change the bearings, see my posts in Apache's thread.

Also I think there are a few members near by who could help, I have a lathe to skim the com if you are near, the undercutting can be done literally by hand with a needle file or similar.

That is IF it is the armature.
That is jolly decent of you - Thanks.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

Is the drum turning on the wash cycle? If it is only the spin cycle not working then I would think it unlikely to be the motor or brushes.Doc H.
This is what I thought, Doc - As that is exactly what happens.

Drums turns in both directions.

A`right welshie? Haven`t seen you around for a while.......

OK - the BS about the pressure switch is just that - BS. Its function is to register the amount of water in the drum - nothing else.

Usually, if this is brushes, you can hear the motor whining more than usual, and sometimes smell the arcing. More often than not, it is either the sense signal, which checks the load is balanced (easy to prove - do an empty spin) ; or the motor control board - I would say, IME, the most common culprit.

Let me know if you want me to have a gander - it can be arranged......

KME

I once had a similar problem and the gf had knocked the spin speed right down!
No m,ate - There are only two settings on the speed side of it. I checked that first.

I have the Haynes Washing Machine manual that I will post to you if that is any help? Has nice pictures, just return it when you are done.
That is jolly decent of you, thanks.

I would appreciate a link to the book that you have please Apache - I would be happy to purchase one myself. :)

(I am going to have a look myself, now too).

I am now the washing machine expert - will update my thread :D
I know - I saw a thread. :D

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:46 ---------- Previous post was at 23:44 ----------

I had a similar problem a few months ago and the answer was a bit off the wall. Having checked the filter and pump I was heading for the brushes etc when as said by doc Hudson I realised the wash cycle was working, just not emptying out very well. I removed the filter and fished around in the pipe work at the entry with a wire coat hanger, five minutes later I pulled out a face cloth. Somehow it had escaped the drum but not got as far as the filter.Not very electrical but worth a try before you pull the machine apart.

Mouseman.
Checked the filter and cleaned the very little that was in it. Only checked as much of the pipe that my finger would fit into.

But I know what you mean - I found a sock in one of previous Washing Machines.

A`right welshie? Haven`t seen you around for a while.......OK - the BS about the pressure switch is just that - BS. Its function is to register the amount of water in the drum - nothing else.

Usually, if this is brushes, you can hear the motor whining more than usual, and sometimes smell the arcing. More often than not, it is either the sense signal, which checks the load is balanced (easy to prove - do an empty spin) ; or the motor control board - I would say, IME, the most common culprit.

Let me know if you want me to have a gander - it can be arranged......

KME
Hello Mate,

I put it on without any load (all washing was done :_| ) to test it - I know about the imbalanced load bit as I have had it on all of my Washing Machines. :)

Jolly decent of your kind offer. Thanks.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:49 ----------

That was sneaky Apache - my back was turned to answer the kind replies on here, and sneaked off, found the link before I had a chance to look and did that "Pushy Shovey" thing. :_|

That was sneaky Apache - my back was turned to answer the kind replies on here, and sneaked off, found the link before I had a chance to look and did that "Pushy Shovey" thing. :_|
You should expect no less! ;)

All this skimming the motor business, all seems to be coming from people working in the commercial area where motors are designed to be stripped and skimmed\rebuilt. A lot of appliance motors on newer machines are just scrap once they need more than brushes replacing.

Lurch,

Whilst your point is valid and these motors are built to a price, they can very often be repaired, it is the labour cost that is the limiting factor thus if that is negligible then the units are repairable.

I have often repaired things that are even sealed and need to be cut open to repair. I have repaired several washing machines and other domestic appliances, and yes I do work mostly in the industrial & commercial area.

IF things are caught in time as Patch has suggested in his repair success domestic appliances can be repaired.

Lurch,Whilst your point is valid and these motors are built to a price, they can very often be repaired, it is the labour cost that is the limiting factor thus if that is negligible then the units are repairable.

I have often repaired things that are even sealed and need to be cut open to repair. I have repaired several washing machines and other domestic appliances, and yes I do work mostly in the industrial & commercial area.

IF things are caught in time as Patch has suggested in his repair success domestic appliances can be repaired.

Whilst I get your point, and I have repaired lots of kit that others would bin, I didn;t say nothing is repairable, I said a lot of motors on newer machines aren;t repairable due to the way they fail and the tight tolerances and limits on wearable parts and the lack of available parts at a sensible price. All depends on the job, some can be repaired, most can;t, IME.

Just a little bit of info re main board. I just discovered the worn brushes had deposited graphite over most of the cct connections causing shorting, a quick dust with a small paint brush sorted it out and saved quite a few pounds. Not saying it will work for everyone but worth doing during diagnostics time.Good luck