Pipe Stat Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geejay

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Stanley oil boiler for CH & HW wired by others. There is a high limit pipe stat which turns the pump on to dissipate any excess heat. Unfortunately, when the programmer switches off everything, the pipe stat energises the boiler as well as the pump, so that if the stat is set low enough the boiler continues to cycle. If it's set too high the boiler reset button trips because the boiler thermostat has been exceeded. I've attached a wiring diag (neutrals not shown). Can anyone suggest a modification so that just the pump runs when the temp in the flow pipe reaches the pre-set level?View attachment 1137

PipeStat 2010-11-24_2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have a Stanley oil boiler for CH & HW wired by others. There is a high limit pipe stat which turns the pump on to dissipate any excess heat. Unfortunately, when the programmer switches off everything, the pipe stat energises the boiler as well as the pump, so that if the stat is set low enough the boiler continues to cycle. If it's set too high the boiler reset button trips because the boiler thermostat has been exceeded. I've attached a wiring diag (neutrals not shown). Can anyone suggest a modification so that just the pump runs when the temp in the flow pipe reaches the pre-set level?View attachment 1137

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if its my computer but your diagram comes out very faint and almost unreadable, might be better if it was drawn in black. Can't read enough detail on diagram to be able to help a moment. I'm sure someone with either better eyes or better able to adjust their computer will be along shortly

Don't know if its my computer but your diagram comes out very faint and almost unreadable, might be better if it was drawn in black. Can't read enough detail on diagram to be able to help a moment. I'm sure someone with either better eyes or better able to adjust their computer will be along shortly

Connect the pump via a relay

take permanent live or live from time clock when time clock switches of to pipe stat, switch wire from pipe stat through A1 (2) on relay and link to N/O (3) of relay, connect pump to corresponding terminal of relay (1), then connect original wire to pump to N/C (4)on relay now when pump is required when heating is on it will run through relay N/C , and when switched off pipe stat will energies relay and pump will disperse heat. numbers are for an 8 pin relay and you will need to connect the Neutral to A2 (7) hope this helps CJS

Connect the pump via a relay

take permanent live or live from time clock when time clock switches of to pipe stat, switch wire from pipe stat through A1 (2) on relay and link to N/O (3) of relay, connect pump to corresponding terminal of relay (1), then connect original wire to pump to N/C (4)on relay now when pump is required when heating is on it will run through relay N/C , and when switched off pipe stat will energies relay and pump will disperse heat. numbers are for an 8 pin relay and you will need to connect the Neutral to A2 (7) hope this helps CJS

Woah! The one you have marked as a 3 port appears to be missing a conductor.

I haven`t checked his pin numbers, but CJS has it for you - relay is needed, as both pump and boiler are served from the same connection - you need to be able to supply pump without feeding boiler.

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't shown the N on the 3 port and the white has been cut off. I can't quite follow the instructions for the relay, but it looks like the solution. The 2 port needs to be energised by the pipe stat as well as the pump. If anyone can give me a diag of the wiring it would be very helpful, as I don't think I can get anyone up here in the wilds of Scotland to do the job. Cheers.

This should work you will need an 8 pin relay with base and an enclosure to mount it in CJS

img003.jpg

Just got back from floundering in the snow. Many thanks for diag, just what I need.

Hi again

I've fitted the relay, but I'm wondering if I've done something wrong, as the boiler doesn't fire. When the CH is ON then the switch in the relay goes to position 3 in the diagram so there's no circuit to the boiler. It seems the link from C/H On to the Pipe Stat energises A1(2).

Any suggestions?

Sorry about that Geejay after looking at my diagram I can see it will not work, Your problem is that you will need to open a valve to let the water flow as you can't pump against a dead end. I have attached another diagram which should work but you will need 2 relays, I have shown it opening the Central heating valve but if you want it to operate the Hot water valve you will need to connect the relay connection to the brown of the Hot water valve Sorry again CJS

Pipe_Stat_Wiring_Diagram.png

Many thanks, much appreciated. I'll try this.

I wonder if there's another way, by having the pump controlled by the pipe stat. i.e. the pump runs only when the pipe stat reaches temperature.

The last diagram i have drawn will allow the pump to run when all the heating and hot water is shut down, via the pipe stat allowing heat to be dissipated. You need a zone valve to open either the heating or hot water valve, other wise the water has nowhere to flow and this will cause the pump to fail hope this works for you CJS

Thanks, again. I've ordered another relay and will post again when I've got it done.

Got the relay yesterday and fitted - all seems to be working perfectly. Much relief all round, especially in this weather. I'm indebted to you for your help seajayess. Many thanks.

It's great when forums work like this where people are willing to give their time to help others out. Graham

Glad to here its working hopefully when all the heating is shut down and you turn the pipe stat down the valve and only the pump will run CJS