heating programmable room stat with pir

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky marky

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm a qualified spark and have been asked to help out my local social club (literally across the road!) i've recently wired two room stats for the two separate zones up and down because there was a lot of dispute about the temperates, upstairs is a snooker room and they aren't happy with running the central heating from a programmer because people don't often go up there and they don't want to heat an empty room but also don't want to have to switch the heating on manually when people come in (plus it'll take half hour old to warm up anyway).

What i have suggested one night after a few Guinness is to put a programmable room stat upstairs and program that to heat up every day for one hour when they open, then wire a PIR to take control after that meaning the heating will switch off if no one goes in there or stay on if they do!

my question is whether if i common the two switch lines (room stat and pir) will the back feed on the programmer cause it to break as they aren't too cheap! by this is mean connect the switch line from the pir to the switched terminal of the programmable room stat?!

open to suggestions :) Guinness

how big is the room ???

by the time they walk in the heating comes up to the temp they may well have gone home

instant heat is what i would suggest

if they are programmable just hit boost as they enter

what stats do they have

ok thanks a lot, stats at the moment are honeywell tamperproof, room is fairly large with 5 rads, 2 snooker tables. my problem now is though that i need a tamperproof programmable room stat! ?:|

i'm going off the idea i may just use the programmer to heat for an hour every night when they open and tell the workers to override it then if someone does come in!