Is your road normally Gritted???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Griiters can usually get to us provided people have parked sensibly.

If they can't then I can't blame the council. If the gritter can't get through wonder what would happen if it was an ambulace or a fire engine on a 999 call?

Why is that people who park on the road, usually blocking the pavement, never use their drives let alone their garages.

Sunday lunch time rant over.

they dont grit our road

we have a steep hill from the estate

what they do is ensure the 2 grit containers top and bottom are topped up

when it gets bad we just go out and clear it ourselves..

never grit my street. they grit the main roads though.

people in this street park like idiots at the other end. sometimes, unless your on a bike, you cant get through

The main road through the village is gritted regularly throughout the day, but with a low priority as it's only a 'C' class road. The actual lane I live on doesn't get gritted and the old gentlemen in the village fill their empty days pushing it around.

I have seen the gritter go through twice today, around mid-day and then again about half an hour ago. The main roads round here are perfect.

exbdc,

I know what you mean mate, I have a street full of pillocks that park both sides of my street, on the pavements. (That is without the other streets nearby too).

Winds me up when people say "Don't alk on the road, use the pavement", Try parking their vehicles on the road, NOT on the pavement and pedestrians will be able to use it. Plus it is a well known fact that roads are safer to walk on than pavements. (in this weather at least) regardless of whether you are young or old. (yes, move when a vehicle approaches as quick as possible)

Remember - Pavements are for pedestrians NOT for vehicles. ;)

When we had it bad here in Chesterfield, we could walk up in the middle of the road which was one of the main arterial routes in and out of chesterfield. The air was clear so we could hear and see any vehicle coming towards us from a good distance away. Thus we were able to clear the road of people quickly and safely if needed be.

AndyGuinness

We live on an estate where the roads are never gritted, though the main roads all round are. Our cul-de-sac gets like an ice rink very quickly if there's a freeze-thaw cycle and this tends to last quite a few days because the road surface gets no sun in the winter. Twice in 10 years I've been unable to get my Rover out of the close because it's ever so slightly on a slope and the car has 215/45x17 tyres!

So far I have learned two facts from this thread..

1/ By taking our little forum as a totally un-scientific random sample poll of the population... that over 70% of the UK's roads are never gritted by the council! :| :C

2/ Some of our members may have difficulty controlling their vehicle in country lanes where there are NO footpaths and where they could quite reasonably encounter pedestrians, animals, cyclists.. or other obstacles that are not traveling as fast as or in the same direction as their vehilce...

Driving with due care and attention and at a speed appropriate to the road conditions should mean any good driver can easily negotiate any persons or obstacles not in another vehilce...

(What happens if you find a bloomin Sheep standing it the road! :| :C :coat)

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

[quote name='Andy

So far I have learned two facts from this thread..1/ By taking our little forum as a totally un-scientific random sample poll of the population... that over 70% of the UK's roads are never gritted by the council! :| :C

2/ Some of our members may have difficulty controlling their vehicle in country lanes where there are NO footpaths and where they could quite reasonably encounter pedestrians, animals, cyclists.. or other obstacles that are not traveling as fast as or in the same direction as their vehilce...

Driving with due care and attention and at a speed appropriate to the road conditions should mean any good driver can easily negotiate any persons or obstacles not in another vehilce...

(What happens if you find a bloomin Sheep standing it the road! :| :C :coat)

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Not according to the highway code...

Agreed, motorways and motorway sliproads are for vehicles only...

But many other roads are most certainly NOT the sole domain of the powered vehilce....

Where do horsey type people take Dobbin for a trot..

and as for Steptoe.. hows he supposed to get Hercules around?

:eek:
dobbin.jpg

:slap

I agree with Spec Loc.

As an ex rally driver I like to have plenty of power under my right foot and enjoy 'spirited' driving. It's one of the reasons I drive a 200bhp car.

One of the other reasons I like my 200bhp, is that I recognise that others have as much right to use the road as I do. This includes many vehicles which will be driving much slower than I (actually, that's almost everbody else). Therefore I like to have plenty of overtaking power. I am quite happy to follow behind a slower vehicle and be patient for mile after mile, but as soon as there's enough room (and it doesn't need much) all 800 hooves will be pounding the tarmac to full effect - out, past and back in all in the shortest stretch of tarmac possible. Obviously, restraint on the right pedal is required around horses, and maybe pedestrians and cyclists.

Living in a rural area, we see many different types of user on the roads. They all have a right to be there. If you want to go quicker, then it's your responsibility to pass safely. And the payment of vehicle excise duty (note it is not called 'road tax') doesn't alter that responsibility or relationship.

Our road is never gritted although there is a grit bin at each end , it can be a nightmare sometimes as it never seems to thaw and people still seem unable to use their garages or driveways .

Our road is never gritted although there is a grit bin at each end , it can be a nightmare sometimes as it never seems to thaw and people still seem unable to use their garages or driveways .
Send Brian and his friends to go and get it. :)

Actually I have lied] :)

My road does gritted but that is when I take my bucket and spade to the grit bin and do it all by myself because the neighbours are lazy feckkers!

Actually I have lied] :) My road does gritted but that is when I take my bucket and spade to the grit bin and do it all by myself because the neighbours are lazy feckkers!
No you haven't lied....

The question is..

"do the council normally grit your road"? ;) :x

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

You had better send Hercules back...

Step's is gonna be looking for him! :eek:

My roads only gritted when its icey ;)

they don't seem to bother in the summer, must all be on the costa brava.