How do you buy?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISSWWW

Reaction score
Do installers of Solar PV buy Kits or do you buy all the components seperately?

Any input would be really appreciated:Salute

I haven`t had to yet - most of our work is coming through a stand-alone supply company, who get the sales, determine the install, and have all goods delivered to site.

Sorry, that doesn`t help much.

KME

n.b. I think I`ll be sourcing seperates; dependant on cost. Why d`you ask?

first install as a kit, then seperate for me.

Nice to have everything there the first time.

I haven`t had to yet - most of our work is coming through a stand-alone supply company, who get the sales, determine the install, and have all goods delivered to site.Sorry, that doesn`t help much.

KME

n.b. I think I`ll be sourcing seperates; dependant on cost. Why d`you ask?
I ask because we already sell the Metering and Irradiance Meters (have you seen my post in Q/A forum) and i now have the chance to distribute the connectors.

However it's a big investment and i want to be sure it's a worthwhile exercise, also my collegue in the same group of companies is thinking of doing the inverters, panels etc.

Thanks for the reply mate:Salute

just an idea, not sure if it would be worth it to you.

But you could do a PV installers kit. with irradiance meter, dc clamp meter, infrared thermometer maybe an inclinometer. Could do a bronze, silver and gold package. With a little discount for buying in bulk I'm sure it would generate sales for people new to pv.

just an idea, not sure if it would be worth it to you.But you could do a PV installers kit. with irradiance meter, dc clamp meter, infrared thermometer maybe an inclinometer. Could do a bronze, silver and gold package. With a little discount for buying in bulk I'm sure it would generate sales for people new to pv.
Sellers i think that is a great idea, we carry all of that except the inclinometer. Do you already have one (inclinometer)? where did you get it?

Is it very importent, sorry if that's a dozy question.

Have a look at this and let me know what you think.

I could put together 2/3 kits quite easily, thank you:Applaud

Mark,

I won't be much use to you on this topic methinks!

I looked into the cost & the paperwork & the admin overhead & thought stuff this!

However, one comment I will make is that soon this stuff is gonna be quite common.

IF your group can steal the "march" on the competition by stocking parts etc. up front then you may get established before the "others".

I realise that at each of your branches the manager holds his own P&L, one thing I'm not sure of is the situation with group stock and inter branch transfers.

IMHO parts & spares, upgrades & retrofits will become a large market in the not too distant future and IMHO it will depend upon the interchangerability of the equipment and the tech knowhow of the suppliers in being able to "talk" the installer through swapping make for make as it were.

Retrofits can be a lucrative market I know I have done this with hi tech stuff in the past.

HTH

Mark,I won't be much use to you on this topic methinks!

I looked into the cost & the paperwork & the admin overhead & thought stuff this!

However, one comment I will make is that soon this stuff is gonna be quite common.

IF your group can steal the "march" on the competition by stocking parts etc. up front then you may get established before the "others".

I realise that at each of your branches the manager holds his own P&L, one thing I'm not sure of is the situation with group stock and inter branch transfers.

IMHO parts & spares, upgrades & retrofits will become a large market in the not too distant future and IMHO it will depend upon the interchangerability of the equipment and the tech knowhow of the suppliers in being able to "talk" the installer through swapping make for make as it were.

Retrofits can be a lucrative market I know I have done this with hi tech stuff in the past.

HTH
Thanks mate,

I think you are right about it being a growing segment, I know we are not Germany but they have a renewable system in one out of every two houses. Even if we get close that is an awfull lot of business.

You are also right that each branch does it's own thing, part of why I'm asking is for one collegue in particular.

We all like one stop shopping, if the price is right. Think you might be better off focusing on tools/ test gear, unless you have major amounts of money to invest in stock. It's a very confusing market with large numbers of panel/inverter manufacturers, and assorted mounting kits. You can even source British made stuff, which is rare. Biggerst issue for us onstallers is lack of credit facilities - we are used to getting 30 days on account, so maybe that could be a USP for yourselves?

Separates mainly, due to the fact don't seem to be able to get what is needed in a kit at the right price, too generic.

Also the few kits I have done have been short of stuff and missing bits.

Would be good to have a decent one stop shop though with people who understood what they were selling.

Separates mainly, due to the fact don't seem to be able to get what is needed in a kit at the right price, too generic.Also the few kits I have done have been short of stuff and missing bits.

Would be good to have a decent one stop shop though with people who understood what they were selling.
I see a trend developing here and that is understanding and having expertise in the products, I think although it is obvious it is good to hear it from the coal face so to speak.

I also see that having the right stock on the shelf and the right price would be a big plus of course.

Thanks agian for the feed back, it's most appreciated.

One major thing hasn't been mentioned is that everything you sell/buy must be MCS certified or the certified installer cannot apply for the feed in tarrif for their customer. Thats why we buy mainly from one stop suppliers, the industry is so closely monitored every thing has to be traceable and verified.

Sellers i think that is a great idea, we carry all of that except the inclinometer. Do you already have one (inclinometer)? where did you get it?Is it very importent, sorry if that's a dozy question.

Have a look at this and let me know what you think.

I could put together 2/3 kits quite easily, thank you:Applaud

Mark

Clicked on your link and I must ask a question in that the meter is GS38 compliant but looking at the probs they do not comply as more than 4mm is showing?

MarkClicked on your link and I must ask a question in that the meter is GS38 compliant but looking at the probs they do not comply as more than 4mm is showing?
The leads on ours have been changed for the UK and less than 4mm is exposed, thanks for pointing this out though, I really need to change the picture.

I see a trend developing here and that is understanding and having expertise in the products, I think although it is obvious it is good to hear it from the coal face so to speak.I also see that having the right stock on the shelf and the right price would be a big plus of course.

Thanks agian for the feed back, it's most appreciated.

Think you will find that the trend will change on a daily basis. The customers of these types of installations are becoming very savy and know what they want and when they want it (and who wouldn't considering the costs?), so stock rotation could be a bit of a guessing game?

Panels that may seem the dogs dangles one day @ say 185W are going to be pushed a side when the customer hears of the new 250W panel made by XYZ.

I have personally been sitting on the fence watching the market closely after completing relevant courses at the begining of 2010.

Its been quite interesting to see the developments and changes happening in the industry including the likes of retail companies like Jewsons now supplying kits http://www.jewson.co.uk/en/templates/sustainability/mainpage.jsp?page=11700018 and the number of new manufacturers entering the UK market from Europe.

IMHO stocking the equipment / materials could be very costly and therefore gaining a customer base of installers pre-hand would probably prove a logical approach in the right direction before a large expansion of stock?

Anyone who has covered the relevant training in this area knows that it is not rock science, but supplier support should really go hand-in-hand with the purchases.

lol.....yep worked that one out... ROTFWL
Thanks for for earlier post and this one, we have really studied the manufacturing options and have some good deals in place, some are going to cost a fair bit to stock.

I think the above shows again that product knowledge will be paramount.

WarrenG,You may struggle to get tech support in this from your local Jewson branch!

;)
Couldn't help noticing claims for installation grants on Jewsons advert - does anyone know of such things - thought it was all feed in tariff and no grants now?

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

I think the above shows again that product knowledge will be paramount.
We don't know but hope our suppliers do!!!!

Given the enormous range of stuff, you might be better off with a single selling point, such as innovative rail systems / panels/ inverters/ british only parts. Either way you are going to have to do some serious legwork to pick an option. I've just done my PV course and couldn't believe how many panel manufacturers there are.

hi mark a couple of companies do kit forms marlech being one senate the electical wholesaler are another. if you give them the details they do all the work for you i;e right amount of panels inverter isolaters cables meter etc.

as someone posted earlier if your just starting in this field its best to buy a kit form as you get more adept they can buy seperately one thing you have to be certain of is all equipment is mcs approved or you wont be able to apply for fits.

regards mad frankie.

oh by the way i will be calling you soon i want some info or you can call me you have my no.