Apprenticeships in North London for a 17 year old?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiou93

Reaction score
Okay basically I am in a really tough situation at the moment. recentley left sixth form from doing a levels after 3 months as i noticed straight away that they wern't for me. I left school looking to get into electrics because I want to learn a trade and to better myself in something which I believe is a growing industry. Unfortunatley since i've been looking I have not been able to find anything i've used the apprenticeships website, EDF, E-on, Npower, British gas, and local electricians in the barnet area. I also want to join a local college called Oaklands college to enrol on a city and guilds electrical installation level 2 course however some people say that I need a employer first in order to jump onto the course or have some relevant experience is this true?. I'm 17 years old and am dying for an apprenticeship but is this the only route into getting into the electrical industry or can i enrol at college and learn that way?. just to clarify I have no relevant experience in the trade but wish to pursue a career as an electrician.

if there's anyone out there that can give me advice on what to do please let me know.

thanks,

elliott

Hello Elliott, :Welcome:

Having been in exactly the same situation as you, may i first say, you picked the right trade! I came out of my GCSE's 4 years ago and had nout to do with them. Took me a while to find the right trade for me, but i'm glad i picked sparks.

Enough about me, on to your dilemma. It is unbelievably difficult to find an apprenticeship in the current climate, there isn't enough work out there in order to warrant the extra man-power. Keep trying though, an apprenticeship is worth it's weight in Gold.

My advice and why;

Since you're 17, you're in a very good position with education.

The level two course (C&G 2330, which i think has changed to something different this year, can anyone confirm?) requires you to have either 5 passing GCSE grades (A-D) or an A in maths (which is how i got onto my course with only 4 passes).

This level two course will go on to level three and there are plenty of other part time courses to boost your qualification stack.

Level two itself is supremely easy, covering the simple domestic fittings and cable clipping - along with PVC/Steel Conduit and trunking.

The course consists of a year in college at 3 days a week OR two years in college at 2 nights a week. I recommend the former as this will get you working sooner. ;)

The course will cost you (at age 17) about