BT Can I have two seperate routers on the same line?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Hi all,

As per title...

... I have two BT Voager 210 Routers, am I able to have two on the same BT line? IE: One downstairs and one upstairs.

I have tried to do it and even though all the lights are on - Power, DSL, Internet and Ethernet. It doesn't connect to the internet.

I have run the Dignostics, but it didn't sort it. I have even tried the "turn off for 10 seconds" and it still won't connect.

It is driving me mad.

Here is the little beast:

BT Voyager 210 Router

BT Voyager 210 Router - Product Specs

Many Thanks,

Admin.

I want the Childrens' PC downstairs where we can keep an eye on them and I want my PC upstairs.

I wired in the telephone extensions some time ago. I don't want a system where I would have to have a router (etc) on in one place for the PC to work in another.

How would I do this then guys? (the extensions were wired in telephone cable - The last thing I need now is to run Cat5 surface mounted). :(

Give me a dummies guide on how to do it and what I will need. please. :p

Many Thanks.

I don't think you can have two routers, you'd have to go cat 5 route I would have thought. Some routers can be set up as a 'slave' from the first, but they need network connection.

If you don't want wires you need wireless network!

What about those routers that use the ring main to transmit thier data over? So effectively you can plug your pc/laptop in at any point on the ring and get connected that way?

Or have I been watching too much Star Trek? ;)

What about those routers that use the ring main to transmit thier data over? So effectively you can plug your pc/laptop in at any point on the ring and get connected that way?Or have I been watching too much Star Trek? ;)
Good thinking batman - I have them here. BUT they will need the master Router on downstairs - or if I use the master router upstairs, I will have turn it on up there to use the PC downstairs.

Many Thanks,

Admin.

Do you not leave your router on then ?
Nope. It is only on when we use the pc. (don't leave it on overnight or anything).

Phone BT - tell nice lady that virgin are offering free wireless router to new customers, so unless BT can match offer you will change to Virgin. Extract free router from BT.

I did this to Virgin and got a brand spanking up to date wireless router FOC.

They won't do it mate - Was unhappy with BT service a few years ago and told them that I was going to NTL (as is was then).

They don't care. :(

PC world & look at the Netgear for BT, routers & smart switches with wireless Access points you'll then be able to set up a wlan.

My router hasn`t been switched off since it was installed. Why the flip would you want to turn it off???

Confused.

It doesn`t use much leccy; it won`t attack you when you`re asleep; it doesn`t try to beat your score on "space invaders" - why not leave it on, FCOL?????

I think people are a bit too security concious in turning routers off when not in use..

out of all the hundreds of thousands (possibly even millions) of WiFi routers would someone pick yours to hack into? I know there is a chance, but it's a pretty blinking small one!

I think people are a bit too security concious in turning routers off when not in use..out of all the hundreds of thousands (possibly even millions) of WiFi routers would someone pick yours to hack into? I know there is a chance, but it's a pretty blinking small one!
I turn mine off when not using it, but when I was a student I used to use the neighbours internet FOC so know how easy it can be.

:D

My router hasn`t been switched off since it was installed. Why the flip would you want to turn it off???Confused.

It doesn`t use much leccy; it won`t attack you when you`re asleep; it doesn`t try to beat your score on "space invaders" - why not leave it on, FCOL?????
Because while you are asleep it goes walking into the kitchen and eats all your cheese and drinks all your milk in the fridge!..

so when your neighbor comes round to look in your fridge to see how to wire his landing light switch he cant find the milk or cheese he needs!

headbangheadbangheadbang

:Chair fall :Applaud ]:) :innocent

Aye.

As for your WiFi being hacked - thats only if you`re stupid enough to leave it open to attack. If you`ve set your own WEP key, and changed the user & pass words from "admin", and "0000"; you`re as safe as you`re going to be - its more likely you`re front door will be "hacked", IMO.

Because while you are asleep it goes walking into the kitchen and eats all your cheese and drinks all your milk in the fridge!..so when your neighbor comes round to look in your fridge to see how to wire his landing light switch he cant find the milk or cheese he needs!

headbangheadbangheadbang
:slap lolol joke crossovers are great

"....to get to the other side!" :D

I prefer the good old "hard wired".

KME - are you BT or cable mate?

my little 210 gets hot when in use - and that is the main reason that I turn it off overnight / when not in use.

I also lose connection with it from time to time, too.

:(