GSD - back end

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
`Pache.

Got back from hospital this afternoon - Dog sat up on her bed, but didn`t stand up.

She doesn`t seem to be in pain; but her back legs won`t hold her up unaided. She`ll let me put my hands under her belly, and "hold the back end up", but whimpers after a minute or two.

Mrs. `phoned the vet - got some teenager (by the sound of it), who just said that if we wanted a consultation, is would be

Mate,

There is a vet in Brynhyfryd that all the shooting boys use for their gun dogs as they are very reasonable, down to earth, and, most importantly as you can tell from the shooting boys using him, he is cheap. Also have heard good too!

Can't remember the name, can't be that many vets in Brynhyfryd can there?

'off their back legs' can be any number of things, some serious, some less so.

If she is old and a bit arthritic it is possible that the episode on Wed/Thurs set off some inflammation.

The easiest way to give her some extra support is a rolled up towel in front of the back legs. Giving her some support, even massaging her back legs can help with feeling and sensation.

Is her tail floppy and can she move it?

If you nip the webbing between her toes does she 1.pull her leg away and 2. obviously be aware you are nipping her.

Best of luck with it. On call this weekend as my bosses mother died yesterday so a trip to Wales not possible! Supposed to be visiting my family.

I have known dogs to actually run with fractured legs, probably due to the survival instincts and adrenalin, due to the age I would think its like Apache says the episode with the trailer has taken more time to recover, I do hope its only that, the last thing you need at this time is a poorly pet, with everything else on your plate. Get to the VET on monday and keep us informed.

Thanks guys.

`Pache - tail is moving fairly normally. As for the webbing on toes - I`d say she is aware; but doesn`t pull the foot away - But she is used to me "tickling" the soft fur on her feet, and doesn`t generally bother. But there didn`t seem to be a automatic reaction to the stimulus - though that wasn`t done "scientifically", if you know what I mean?

KME

Thanks guys.`Pache - tail is moving fairly normally. As for the webbing on toes - I`d say she is aware; but doesn`t pull the foot away - But she is used to me "tickling" the soft fur on her feet, and doesn`t generally bother. But there didn`t seem to be a automatic reaction to the stimulus - though that wasn`t done "scientifically", if you know what I mean?
If she reacts to it and can feel it the nerves in the spine are communicating with the brain. If she pulls it back then that is a spinal reflex [like tapping your knee and making you kick] but not aware it suggests a much more serious problem with the nerves.

Best of luck mate

Hi KME. My parents have a GSD and she is 11 now and is getting very wobbly on her back end. When I visit she always used to be enthusiastic about greeting me but she does struggle to get up now although she eventually does so I greet her instead!! Does sound as though your GSD has what GSD's are prone to getting, problems with their hips. I'd expect the vet will try and give her some medication to make her comfortable. Hope she will be ok after all she is an old lady now in dog years so will need lots of TLC
default_good%20luck.gif

Thanks Meg - we`ve had GSD`s for a while; so are aware of their inherent issues ;)

She has had problems with the back end (arthritic) for a while - I`m the only one who doesn`t get "warned off" for touching the hip and upper leg areas. Your description is very much the way she`s been recently - we have to open the front door slowly; as she lays on the mat behind the door, and doesn`t get out of the doorway very quickly....................

`Pache - Thanks. She is absolutely normal in herself; perfectly alert & content - except when she wants to stand! She`s whined a little tonight, either pain or maybe a desire to go out for a whizz - but standing (even with me cradling her lower belly & taking the weight) seems to be somewhat painful for her, so there`ll probably be a bit of a clean-up needed in the morning.........hey-ho.

For those in the know - FIL moved to "Ty Olwen" ( dedicated area of hospital for cancer patients) this week - pain is virtually gone due to increased dosages of various "cocktails"; but with a coressponding increase in confusion levels........

:( KME :(

...She did have an episone on Weds / Thurs, where she got wedged between a fence panel, and the side of a trailer (she`s been up & down the gap plenty of times - but somehow got stuck). Mrs. saw her, and went to `phone me; as she was almost upside down. She scrabbled about, got up, and wandered around the garden, apparently fine.

Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated mate (reminder, she`s almost 11).

KME
I can offer no thoughts or practical advice for GSD

But can offer my best wishes to the KME household as you have both got enough on your plate at the moment. :(

We are not a 'Dog' family, but most defiantly a "Pet" family..

And Pets IS Pets!!!..

and IMHO they learn to communicate with you and become part of your family no mater what type of pet they are..

When any family member is unwell, (Human or a pet), it is a very emotional time for all involved.

Here's hoping for some good news over the coming days!

GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

P.S.

Whats this about a F----ing TRAILER??????

you got a secret you ain't been telling...

closet trailer person yourself..

but not letting on???

:innocent :tongue in cheek:Blushing

:xKMEGuinness

:xMrs KMEGuinness

:xGSDGuinness

:xFILGuinness

:Salute

Now, there`s a "funny" (sort of) story.

The trailer actually belongs / belonged to my FIL; but, for years he told people he "borrowed" it from me to do stuff.

When he went into the hospital, in a lucid moment, he asked if the trailer was safe ( it was on a bit of waste ground behind his flat). So I moved it into our driveway; behind the gates. it has been there before, as we`ve utilised it quite a few times over the years.

n.b. for a laugh - My van doesn`t have a hitch; but Mrs. KME`s car does................Is that cool or what?

n.b. Thanks mate. you been scoobed.

KME

Ok - Morning update.

Bless her - no "accidents" at all (she hasn`t got off her bed in 21 hrs now :(

The right leg has some sensation, and a bit of involuntary movement; the left has none at all. I can squeeze the pads, or pinch the webbing, and no response / movement.

Think we`ll take her to vets when they open in t`morning; don`t see any point in going to an "on call" who didn`t seem interested on the `phone.

Thanks for help / comments / good wishes; from both of us (the dog says "woof", which I think is thanks from her, too ;) )

Ok - Morning update.Bless her - no "accidents" at all (she hasn`t got off her bed in 21 hrs now :(

The right leg has some sensation, and a bit of involuntary movement; the left has none at all. I can squeeze the pads, or pinch the webbing, and no response / movement.

Think we`ll take her to vets when they open in t`morning; don`t see any point in going to an "on call" who didn`t seem interested on the `phone.

Thanks for help / comments / good wishes; from both of us (the dog says "woof", which I think is thanks from her, too ;) )
That's for the update, but it really doesn't sound good. :(

Thoughts are with you

RE Vet in Swansea, KME...

R.H Campbell BVMS.MRCVS

352 Llangyfelach Rd

Brynhyfryd

Swansea

West Glamorgan

SA5 9LQ

TEL: 01792 655110

This is the one that our Sandy had his first Jabs with. (The breeder took him there).

Thanks Winalot........

Next update......... As we`re getting ready to go up to the hospital, She got off her bed and walked to the dining room door (about 12 feet). She did it again when we came in.

Slow to get up, and she doesn`t stay up for long, but she chooses to lay down; doesn`t collapse.

She didn`t want to go outside (she`s always hated the rain anyway) - been over 24 hrs since she did anything.

She`s on the tablets recommended ( :) ), had `em again this morning. Not sure if they`ve eased some inflammation, or what - but something has happened!

Thanks to all

Mrs. KME & KME

Thanks Winalot........Next update......... As we`re getting ready to go up to the hospital, She got off her bed and walked to the dining room door (about 12 feet). She did it again when we came in.

Slow to get up, and she doesn`t stay up for long, but she chooses to lay down; doesn`t collapse.

She didn`t want to go outside (she`s always hated the rain anyway) - been over 24 hrs since she did anything.

She`s on the tablets recommended ( :) ), had `em again this morning. Not sure if they`ve eased some inflammation, or what - but something has happened!

Thanks to all

Mrs. KME & KME
Well that is a bit of good news! :D