steaming hay

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello mate, do you know much about steaming hay my mum has had enough of soaking it, especialy in the winter.

been looking into them, from what i have read its better to steam than soak, and they need to eat it before it dries

they are a bit pricey but i have thought about making one, i am a little concerned that the steam may leach some nasties out of the plastic container, like a wheelie bin

any thoughts on this one mate

thanks

only thing I know on the subject is, 'don't eat steaming hay!'

We used to do this with a horse. You need a bin with a tight fitting lid. Fill a hay net with hay, put in the bin and pour over a kettle full of boiling water and close lid. Give to horse after ~15 mins.

Does reduce the dusts and allergens, but not as well as soaking. You will have to see how your horse gets on with it. Don't fall in the horsey trap and buy one!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

My kettle is plastic. I don't worry about it leeching anything. Maybe a dummy run with some hot water to clean it before first use

yes have read a bit about the kettle boiling.

was thinking about a wall paper stripper and something like a water butt

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

good point about the kettle, prob lots of suitible containers, some plastics can get a little soft when hot,

Any method you like. You don't need a lot of steam. We found a single kettle full ok for an average haynet so long as you fluff it up before filling. Nothing will penetrate the centre of a solid wedge.

We need pictures of whatever you invent - just don't overcomplicate it!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Think we used a bin from B&Q. Ran a part roll of duct tape around the neck of the bin to give the lid a tighter seal. Think we had a bungee cord over the top. It's a while - I can't remember that clearly

thanks patch, will see if i can knock something together will post pics

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

I saw the thread title and was hoping for some quotes from a Jilly cooper novel...

Their bodies were entangled in the steaming hay as roughly he threw her onto the barn floor, riping her garments off, he was speechless at her beauty.. Pulling her close he could feel the softness of her heaving bosom and....................
Sorry... :eek: :pray

Just got sidetracked in to a beer induced day dream!

:p :Blushing:BlushingO) ]:)