RCD tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccarooni

Reaction score
Had a call from a customer who had some solar panels fitted 3 weeks ago and has now tripped out on two seperate days. Last week during heavy rain and today during heavy rain. By the time I got there today rcd could be reset and I did a quick IR test on the install with the Isolator off from the PV panels. 1.72Meg N-E &L-E. now not knowing much on panels and the equipment ie the inverters I rang the installers and they will send someone down to check it out. No paperwork (results)at all from them at the address. So My Question is: is it possibile to carry out an IR test from the isolator, back through the inverter L-E and N-E without damaging the equipment on 250volts. surely as not testing across any load no damage would be done.They will send someone down soon but it may trip out again before they get here. :pray Any comments would be appreciated.

Macca

Maybe leave OFF and see what happens, i.e. if RCD still trips then something else causing it.

Thanks STim.

I did tell the householder if it happens to try reset with Isolator off to see if this helps problem. Im just curious as to test this sort of installation with its components seems a bit awkward. Just hoping someone on here with some pv experience could throw some light on it.

Macca

A

This problem is caused by the earth leakage of the inverter! Two ways to solve this, either instal a higher mA rcd unit or remove it from the rcd side of the board if the installation is all surface mounted obviously. Hope this helps.

Also, if you want to checl this there is a little trick i use. Take out the ac cable from the isolator and attach a 13amp plug top then test the inverter with a pat tester ( set to electronics equiptment as not to dsmage the pcb) let me know how you get on

Recon he had it sorted in January mate !!!!!!

welcome to the forum !!!!!!!

I'm thick as *! didnt even read the date! Ill get this ecentually

Last edited by a moderator: