Non-maintained emergency lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
I'm fitting a non-maintained emergency light tomorrow (first one). There's an L1 terminal and an L2 terminal in the light.The L1 terminal on the light needs a permanent live. Regarding the emergency light grid switch - Does the permanent live from L1 then go the switch and return to L2 via the switch live as with a normal light?

what you have is a maintained em light.

if you want it as a non maintained just connect the live into L1,

if you want it a maintained permanently on link from L1-L2

and if you want it switchable, put the perm in L1 and switch wire in L2

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:38 ----------

I just re-read your post, from the test key switch you should treat this as your permanent live as when the key switch is operated the permanent live is broken and em switches onto battery

Thats just preference noz, i prefer to wire that way as you can see if there is sufficent LUX levels from the em lights.

Don't think its a reg though, as you can wire just to break perm live, for instances where 24hr lighting is needed.

:)

what you have is a maintained em light.if you want it as a non maintained just connect the live into L1,

if you want it a maintained permanently on link from L1-L2

and if you want it switchable, put the perm in L1 and switch wire in L2

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:38 ----------

I just re-read your post, from the test key switch you should treat this as your permanent live as when the key switch is operated the permanent live is broken and em switches onto battery
If using it as a non-maintained is there any need for the emergency switch?

you can use a maintained light as a non maintained but not the other way round.

If your planning to use this as a non maintained light, then you only need to give it a perm live, neutral and earth. The perm live should have a test switch fitted somewhere.

Are you changing like for like or wiring new?

With the fish key you need to isolate both the Permanent and switched live to the fitting (and neutral!)so fish key feeds switch and L1...... and switch feeds L2
You lost me there a bit Noz :)

How do you isolate the live, switch live and neutral at the switch?

Have you actually looked at 5839-6?

Yes, you still need the keyswitch; and I`ll back Noz up too; switching off ALL live supplies for the test switch is, afaicr, a requirement of the regs (NOT 7671).

n.b. if supply is TT, that will include the neutral.

How? two pole switch, fitted before the operational switch, will work. If TN-S orTN-C-S you don`t need to break the neutral

KME

you can use a maintained light as a non maintained but not the other way round.If your planning to use this as a non maintained light, then you only need to give it a perm live, neutral and earth. The perm live should have a test switch fitted somewhere.

Are you changing like for like or wiring new?
It's a brand new light and wiring. If using it as a non-maintained light with a permanent live, neutral and earth how will the test switch be wired?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:26 ----------

Have you actually looked at 5839-6? Yes, you still need the keyswitch; and I`ll back Noz up too; switching off ALL live supplies for the test switch is, afaicr, a requirement of the regs (NOT 7671).

n.b. if supply is TT, that will include the neutral.

How? two pole switch, fitted before the operational switch, will work. If TN-S orTN-C-S you don`t need to break the neutral

KME
No. I've ordered 5839-6 but it won't arrive for another couple of days

What do you mean when you say a two pole switch before the operational switch?

I think my confusion revolves around the emergency switch itself and exactly how it functions.

I think my confusion revolves around the emergency switch itself and exactly how it functions.
You remove the power to the emergency light from the live supply in, simulating power failure and the light should come on.

The switch breaks the live, so opposite to a normal light switch.

The permanent live just charges the battery, it doesn't power the lamp.

The switched live powers the lamp.

If you switch the permanent live, the lamp could still be receiving power from the switched live.

The lamp will be brighter when lit from the switched live, than when it is powered from the battery.

If you do not switch off the switched live, you won't know if the battery has kicked in, and as sellers has stated, you won't be able to ascertain that the lux levels are adequate.

IIRC fish switches are just a 2 pole switch, but with a key instead of a rocker.

So wire the Permanent live and neutral into the fish switch, neutral goes straight to the EM light, live goes to the "Normal" switch COM also link the COM to L1 of the EM light - now the L1 of the "Normal" switch goes to L2 of the EM fitting..

....if that makes any sense?

Might allso be helpful to look at BS 5266 (EMERGENCY LIGHTING CODE OF PRACTICE)

Ah.

Yes.

Thataone was the one I should have referred to, instead of the other one I referred to, which I shouldn`t have referred you to, as it deals with domestic smoke alarm installations, rather than EM lighting.

My bad :coat

There is no disrespect in my reply to anyone who takes a fast route to being an electrician, but this is why many have had to do many years of training. I know why some people get confused when faced with a circuit with more than three wires. Mention lighting circuits with 4 core or six core then and I would love to know the workings of the adverage DI,s understanding. I am only sure of one thing, without peers I am useless.

What about 20+ core cables with all cores black, where would they stand then?...

Mixed voltages, mixed uses, mixed origins, mixed destinations, all lumped into one cable for the travel, point to point, the split up again!...

I lurve jobs like that - gets the brainiac cells working.............

Socapex connectors used in theatre systems etc - I`ve used `em at 57 terminals; down ONE cable - many of which have the same colour :x ? :| :C :popcorn

What about 20+ core cables with all cores black, where would they stand then?...Mixed voltages, mixed uses, mixed origins, mixed destinations, all lumped into one cable for the travel, point to point, the split up again!...
sounds fairly straight forward