Manator

Could you rewire a domestic without RCD protection

Can a domestic house be rewired without rcd protection  

1. 1. Can a domestic house be rewired without rcd protection

• YES
    • NO
    • At least one circuit will require RCD
    • At least two circuits will require RCD
    • Apache's option not sure, or want to wait for others to choose, so I can have a laugh later

Manator

I would like to follow on from some threads about the use of any RCD.

Under the 17th any RCD used is classed as additional protection on the EIC or MWC, some of you may be aware of the up comming ammendments to these regulations, this poll is only based on the current regulations and not any up comming event. (TT installations excluded for obvious reasons).

Please try to explain your answers if you can, I think this would prove a very good learning curve for all of us. I would like the poll to run for at least a week before I do another reply.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Admin

Post up the options then, Guv. :)

Manator

Sorry Admin was a little slow on the post and option, hope its there for all to see now.

Zeespark

I voted no on account that shower manufacturers stipulate the need on their installation instructions, and the fact that at least one downstairs power circuit would need an RCD.

Andy

NozSpark

Even if all cables were in earthed steel conduit then the bathroom circuits and socket outlets for non specific use would still require RCD protection!

EDIT... on reflection you could design an installation that was RCD free, but I don't know of anyone who would in a domestic situation

Edited by NozSpark
Added further thoughts

m4tty

Cables will be less than 50mm from surface & Bathrooms + what ^^ said

Manator

Running a poll without input is unbearably hard, thanks to all those who have run them before, and of course all those who reply.

Andy™

you may be able to wire the entire house without an RCD at the board, providing all cables comply with regs for not needing it

but you would then need RCD sockets, RCD spur for bathroom light etc

revjames

I voted 1 circuit but made some assumptions:

House was a bungalow and had no shower, all sockets on a circuit and bathroom light spurred off sockets via 5a FSU ......

Andy™

i guess the only other option is candle light in bathroom, few lights in other rooms, 'dedicated' sockets (or spurs) for stuff like TV's w/m etc (no sockets).

so i guess it could be possible. but not practical

Canoeboy

I don't do domestic so am prepared to be flamed ere :slap

Could a bathroom with no shower not be wired for lighting in selv including the switch drop etc ?

spinlondon

All circuits of special locations must be RCD protected.

To my mind this precludes the use of an FCU incorporating an RCD, anywhere than at the origin of such a circuit.

RCD protection for socket-outlets can be provided at the socket-outlet if required.

RCD protection for cables concealed in walls is only required if another form of additional protection is not used.

NozSpark

For some strange reason even SELV wiring needs to have RCD protection within a bathroom.. according to the 17th!

God knows why?

steptoe

barring the fact that the person who is unknown to you may well not be an instructed person,

and they will assume at least one socket for their use then I would say no, it is not possible, taking into account SELV for bathroom etc.

Manator

Ok I have lasted an hour and 15 minutes without injection, I could under the current regulations rewire a full double storey house without the need for RCD protection, including special locations and manufacturers instructions. Like I said this poll is going to prove a learning curve for everyone including me.

steptoe

how?

I have asked this question before (hypothetically) about my own house,

and the fact being I have no control who is in my house would preclude the instructed persons fact,

in an office/etc then this could be argued, but Im not sure how in a domestic.

Manator
how?

I have asked this question before (hypothetically) about my own house,

and the fact being I have no control who is in my house would preclude the instructed persons fact,

in an office/etc then this could be argued, but Im not sure how in a domestic.

If you have voted, and sworn to never divulge any information given pm me and I will happliy tell you how.

However I would hope that you use that electrical training you received, and not look at this as an installation , but more of a design.

steptoe

hypothetically yes,

but arent we trained to actually design stuff for real world installations?

otherwise we could wire ring finals/radials in 1.0mm and just put 6A MCBs on them,

after all we have designed the circuit properly, just not considered the user.

Manator

This is harder than giving up smoking.

steptoe

did you really think I was going to give an answer to a poll for anyone to disagree with me and not have an arguement?

surely you have been around long enough to know Im a stubborn ****er that is always right.! :D

mikel

I've voted no. On the basis I can't (at this moment) see how you can get round the need circuits supplying a special location needing RCD protection. I'm intrigued by the question and it has me thinking! So thank you Manator for making the grey matter kick into action

Manator

mikel there is a simple answer to that, problem with most people is they look at the problem but not the options.

Lets take a scientific view, 2 and 2 = 4, we often take this as a plus, without question, the result being if I was to openly question you 2 and 2 equals what? you would probably answer 4. I know in written form 2 and 2 looks to me like 22.

Canoeboy

2+2 also = 10

To be or not to be that is the question

steptoe

no

2 + 2 = 100

Canoeboy
no

2 + 2 = 100

No that would be 10 + 10 = 100

Your answer is presumed to be binary 4 so you cant ave a 2 in the equation as its 0 or 1 :slap

2+2 = 10 (base 3)

There endeth the lesson :Chair fall