Could you rewire a domestic without RCD protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manator

©Honorary Essex Boy™
Reaction score
I would like to follow on from some threads about the use of any RCD.

Under the 17th any RCD used is classed as additional protection on the EIC or MWC, some of you may be aware of the up comming ammendments to these regulations, this poll is only based on the current regulations and not any up comming event. (TT installations excluded for obvious reasons).

Please try to explain your answers if you can, I think this would prove a very good learning curve for all of us. I would like the poll to run for at least a week before I do another reply.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Post up the options then, Guv. :)

Sorry Admin was a little slow on the post and option, hope its there for all to see now.

Even if all cables were in earthed steel conduit then the bathroom circuits and socket outlets for non specific use would still require RCD protection!

EDIT... on reflection you could design an installation that was RCD free, but I don't know of anyone who would in a domestic situation

Last edited by a moderator:
Running a poll without input is unbearably hard, thanks to all those who have run them before, and of course all those who reply.

you may be able to wire the entire house without an RCD at the board, providing all cables comply with regs for not needing it

but you would then need RCD sockets, RCD spur for bathroom light etc

i guess the only other option is candle light in bathroom, few lights in other rooms, 'dedicated' sockets (or spurs) for stuff like TV's w/m etc (no sockets).

so i guess it could be possible. but not practical

All circuits of special locations must be RCD protected.

To my mind this precludes the use of an FCU incorporating an RCD, anywhere than at the origin of such a circuit.

RCD protection for socket-outlets can be provided at the socket-outlet if required.

RCD protection for cables concealed in walls is only required if another form of additional protection is not used.

barring the fact that the person who is unknown to you may well not be an instructed person,

and they will assume at least one socket for their use then I would say no, it is not possible, taking into account SELV for bathroom etc.

Ok I have lasted an hour and 15 minutes without injection, I could under the current regulations rewire a full double storey house without the need for RCD protection, including special locations and manufacturers instructions. Like I said this poll is going to prove a learning curve for everyone including me.

how?

I have asked this question before (hypothetically) about my own house,

and the fact being I have no control who is in my house would preclude the instructed persons fact,

in an office/etc then this could be argued, but Im not sure how in a domestic.

how?I have asked this question before (hypothetically) about my own house,

and the fact being I have no control who is in my house would preclude the instructed persons fact,

in an office/etc then this could be argued, but Im not sure how in a domestic.
If you have voted, and sworn to never divulge any information given pm me and I will happliy tell you how.

However I would hope that you use that electrical training you received, and not look at this as an installation , but more of a design.

hypothetically yes,

but arent we trained to actually design stuff for real world installations?

otherwise we could wire ring finals/radials in 1.0mm and just put 6A MCBs on them,

after all we have designed the circuit properly, just not considered the user.

did you really think I was going to give an answer to a poll for anyone to disagree with me and not have an arguement?

surely you have been around long enough to know Im a stubborn ****er that is always right.! :D

I've voted no. On the basis I can't (at this moment) see how you can get round the need circuits supplying a special location needing RCD protection. I'm intrigued by the question and it has me thinking! So thank you Manator for making the grey matter kick into action

Status
Not open for further replies.