Manator

Could you rewire a domestic without RCD protection

Can a domestic house be rewired without rcd protection  

1. 1. Can a domestic house be rewired without rcd protection

• YES
    • NO
    • At least one circuit will require RCD
    • At least two circuits will require RCD
    • Apache's option not sure, or want to wait for others to choose, so I can have a laugh later

ianmacd

Glad you are back Horny.

green-hornet

Thanks mate, just missed a good debate, not sure I could have added anything though :)

Manator
Thanks mate, just missed a good debate, not sure I could have added anything though :)

Not sure about that GH, looking back at your contribution to the forum I would say you would have had some very good input.

Glad to see you back on the forum

green-hornet

Thanks Manator, looks like most of what I would have said has been covered. I am still reading the regs just so I can nit pick :)

binky

By heck, never would have thought abthroom light could cause so much debate :Salute

I've always understood the regs as generally assuming LV wiring as it is normal to supply LV to bathroom lights and switches, and would still argue that ELV lighting is therefore not requiring RCD.

However to take the discussion forward, if RCDs are absent would we then require supplementary bonding given ELV lighting only in bathroom - a subject much forgotten since RCDing all circuits to avoid associated hassle of bonding pipes etc ?:|

Canoeboy

ELV is broad being SELV, PELV and FELV which are all different

Just to confuse the matter :Salute

Sidewinder

^ VERY different!

green-hornet

Hold on I am still reading :)

Canoeboy
Hold on I am still reading :)

Page ???

Hope your memories better than a goldfish cos i finish one chapter, start another and have forgot the last :slap

green-hornet

At the moment I am reading about the scope, going to be a very long night

ADS

Just been reading Ammendment 1 again - and PC Electrics was correct earlier in the thread - the regulation in question(701.411.3.3), should definitely not be a problem later this year.:D

701.411.3.3 Additional protection by RCDs

Additional protection shall be provided for all low voltage circuits of the location, by the use of one or more RCDs having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.

NOTE: See also Regulations 314.1(iv) and 531.2.4 concerning the avoidance of unwanted tripping.

The change in Blue - so no more non-compliance:D

Manator

Amazing what a difference those little words mean.

green-hornet

OK I have finished reading

Andy™

your a slow reader, its been 10 months!

green-hornet

Its been at least that long since I have been back Andy

Badger

in my opinion id not be happy to use whether inside the property or outside the property for power tools etc without rcd protection if i go to a house without rcd on the sockets i plug a rcd unit into the extension lead then into the socket point.

steptoe

in my opinion id not be happy to use whether inside the property or outside the property for power tools etc without rcd protection if i go to a house without rcd on the sockets i plug a rcd unit into the extension lead then into the socket point.

jaysus

nearly 3 years,  :o

Badger

i know ive only just found it after searching the archoves from admins basement. i thought admin had shredded all this but alas obvously not.

sprocketflup

Badger must be on dial-up lol

steptoe

:slap

Badger

ive only just managed to get the commodore working :lol:

Rob_the_rich

Sorry to re-bump this old thread but I had a couple of thoughts about the socket outlets requiring additional protection. 

1. install 32amp socket outlets, each spurred off a 13A FCU, and leave a bag of 32amp plugs for the homeowner to replace on their appliances. They would have to remember to put the correct fuse rating for the appliance they are about to use in the fcu first of course.

2. It would be OK to omit RCD protection if the homeowner, spouse and any children were all qualified electricians, and any visitors were "instructed" (or not allowed).

3. The outdoors use bit would not be required in a flat in block of flats.

Not much fun, but compliant?