Buying tools from the US instead of the UK?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatrixtiff

Reaction score
Hello all,

Im currently in the process of buying a couple of new cordless power tools :) and was wondering if there are any disadvantages from buying from the US?

It works out alot cheaper so surely it would make sense to do this, no?

Can anyone give me any advice or reasons not to, or is there something that im completley missing here...

The link/website below is what im thinking of using.

DeWALT 18V 1/2'' XRP Li-Ion Hammerdrill DCD970KL

Thanks,

Rob

Check to see that DeWalt would honour the warranty of bought from USA, some companies won't. Also beware of VAT and other import duties. It' ok it if works, but a ****** if stuff goes wrong.

Isn't the voltage for US stuff 110-120v so trany required charge it.

Dewalt are not the company they used to be.. quality has gone downhill since manufacturing was moved to the USA from Germany...

Have you thought about what you'd do if you have a problem,, you'll probably have to send it back to the USA for any warranty repair

If you look at my Drill thread you'll see that I went for Makita after having Dewalt for 6 years!

Also if you import from the US you will take on the legal responsibility for acting as the importer of the kit.

DeWalt can wash their hands of it under H&S law.

If you had a fault and electrocuted someone else with the tool, the buck would stop with you as you imported the equipment into the EU not DeWalt, or their legal representatives.

The charger could be a problem but if you have a UK charger already then you shouldn't have any problems with it and I believe the warranty to be worldwide.. I nearly bought one when I was out there 2 yrs ago. I bought my WHIA screwdrivers there and I use them everyday. The US make quality gear.If you go there try and visit a Sears found in most shopping malls. They have a huge retail space dedicated to tools and you will find Fluke multimeters amongst other goodies. My wife always knows where to find me when we go there.

Might have to pay import duty too, althoough I'm not an expert. Surely you can find a good deal in the UK , daft as it sounds, keep an eye on B&Q for their special offers, bought a Makita there

Good advice lads, thanks. Considering it's cordless, yes I do have a charger already but your right, the warranty could be a problem.

I have used dewalt drills for the last 7 years without a problem bt might well be worth thinking about a change.

Thanks nozsparks, your thread is very helpful.

Thanks for the advice.

Any websites worth checking out, please copy me a link.

Screwfix seems to have a few good deals.

Cheers,

Rob

I am a fan of these.

And I will purshae at least one from our forum sponsor too, when I get some spare can and can pursuade Mrs Admin. :_|

I am a fan of these. And I will purshae at least one from our forum sponsor too, when I get some spare can and can pursuade Mrs Admin. :_|
Ha, funny that because Iv been using that drill for the last year in oz.

Top class drill.

Thanks.

I am a fan of these. And I will purshae at least one from our forum sponsor too, when I get some spare can and can pursuade Mrs Admin. :_|
I hate impact drills they drive me mad all that noise. Get a decent cordless and you would not need an impact drill.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:25 ----------

Might have to pay import duty too, althoough I'm not an expert. Surely you can find a good deal in the UK , daft as it sounds, keep an eye on B&Q for their special offers, bought a Makita there

Myself and my friends often import parts for our bikes from the USA.

Can be realativly easy, can be a right mess.

If you can find someone who will state on the customs form that it is a warrenty replacement, or a gift, then you should not have to pay import duty and handeling fee to the shippers.

If you can't, then you may as well just change the dollar sign to a pound sign, as that is often what it will end up costing.

That's the kit I got for Xmas off the mrs , not wanting to loose a forum sponsor business , but mine was

I was thinking more on the lines that it would be purchased for sole us in the USA.

Seen the bit on the chargers.

I bought the same drill as the OP from trade point (b &q) with one battery for