First assessment this thursday by NAPIT, bit of advice needed from you guys

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S60TEM

Reaction score
I've got my first assessment this thursday from NAPIT and I have a few questions which would be great if you guys could help me out.

1) My tester, a megger 1553....i've just had it recalibrated so all is good but from factory they dont have 2mm exposed GS38 approved leads once you take off the croc clips. Will I be pulled up about this?

2) Can I use my Multi function tester in conjunction with my proving unit to indicate voltage instead of having to go and buy a seperate voltage indicator?

3) I have the following paperwork in place for him

* Underpinning knowledge Certificates from City & Guilds and EAL

* EaWR 1989

* Approved document P

* BS 7671:2008 BRB

* Onsite Guide

* Guidance Note 3

* Electricians guide to the building regs

* Insurance documents including my van insurance.

* Customer complaints procedure and form.

* Calibration certificates for my MFT

* PIR and EIC certs

Have I missed something?

4) My assessor is called Martin York, I'm based in the north east so has anyone else had him assess them?

What's he like and is he fair and approachable?

What type of questions is he likely to ask?

Thank you.

1) Yes. There should have been some small clear plastic caps that go on to make the exposed tips much smaller.

2) I do not see why not as long as you test before and after on the proving unit. It is much easier with a small tester than an MFT though.

3) Did they not give you a list of what you need to provide?

4) Not Napit.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:44 ----------

This is them

1000-562_I2.gif

I didn't look at Napit, but you may need a signed health and safety policy and a risk assessment, if you get stuck I could send you mine or I'm sure some of the guys here can help you out.

The other ones that weren't initially specified when I had mine was a contract for work and an estimate sheet. The estimate sheet he wanted was a detailed document where you'd specify exactly what was to be done so the customer couldn't argue at a later time. It wasn't needed on the assessment and the assessor was really helpful in advice on what to put.

Don't really see a problem with using your tester, just seems like a bit of a hassle.

Agreed with risk assessment forms but H&S policy I thought was only needed for more than 5 employees.

Has anybody got a download for some sample risk assessments? Have got my assessment next month too. Would we have to show that we have done risk assessments for all our previous jobs? thanks

Has anybody got a download for some sample risk assessments? Have got my assessment next month too. Would we have to show that we have done risk assessments for all our previous jobs? thanks
Maybe someone will be kind enough as to upload one to our "Downloads Area"? (if someone hasn't already done so).

I can not add much to what Canoeboy has stated, the documents you require will always be on the scheme providers website. Remember that if you install any emergency lighting fire alarm systems you MUST have the relevent books.

thanks a lot guys, much appreciated.

Any document examples you have of Health & Safety policy, Risk Assessments etc, could you email them to me at [email protected]

thank you again and heres hoping for the best!

thats a great help! Mucho mucho grassy arse!

Need some more ink for my printer me thinks!

I've got my first assessment this thursday from NAPIT and I have a few questions which would be great if you guys could help me out.1) My tester, a megger 1553....i've just had it recalibrated so all is good but from factory they dont have 2mm exposed GS38 approved leads once you take off the croc clips. Will I be pulled up about this?mine came with little coers to go over the tip once croc clips removed. do you still have them? he is unlikely to say anything, but worst case you may get a non-complaince, and have to get some new leads & send copy of invoice in

2) Can I use my Multi function tester in conjunction with my proving unit to indicate voltage instead of having to go and buy a seperate voltage indicator?i would expect him to say something about this. really, you should have something that doesnt have any switches, so you cant turn to wrong mode etc. there are many testers around, like fluke T-50. i have a T-140 and its the most important tool i carry. doesnt need another reference (i.e nutral or earth) to tell you if something is live. if your still stuck i have a martindale voltage tester & a voltage tester if you want to borrow either of them for the day

3) I have the following paperwork in place for him

* Underpinning knowledge Certificates from City & Guilds and EAL

* EaWR 1989

* Approved document P

* BS 7671:2008 BRB

* Onsite Guide

* Guidance Note 3

* Electricians guide to the building regs

* Insurance documents including my van insurance.

* Customer complaints procedure and form.

* Calibration certificates for my MFT

* PIR and EIC certsas mentioned, you need some risk assessments. H&S policy is not required by law, but i have no idea if they would demand it or not

Have I missed something?

4) My assessor is called Martin York, I'm based in the north east so has anyone else had him assess them?

What's he like and is he fair and approachable?

What type of questions is he likely to ask?

most likely basic stuff, like whats the max Zs for xxx, whats disconnection times, where is zone 1 of bathroom etc. he wont expect you to know everything, but you should know where to find the answer

Thank you.
my red

2) Can I use my Multi function tester in conjunction with my proving unit to indicate voltage instead of having to go and buy a seperate voltage indicator?i would expect him to say something about this. really, you should have something that doesnt have any switches, so you cant turn to wrong mode etc. there are many testers around, like fluke T-50. i have a T-140 and its the most important tool i carry. doesnt need another reference (i.e nutral or earth) to tell you if something is live. if your still stuck i have a martindale voltage tester & a voltage tester if you want to borrow either of them for the day
I used my MFT once and got pulled for it for the reason above,, not a major problem, but they definately don't like them being used as a voltage indicator..... only thing is, my Fluke T120 was in my van but it had a damaged lead so I couldn't use it;)... it's fixed now though so its no longer a problem

S60TEM, Why don't you have a look at the ones our sponsor; www.isswww.co.uk, sells?

And this is actually a question on one of the City and Guilds exams, and it goes along the lines of...

Why shouldn't you use a Multi function tester (MFT) as a voltage tester?

And the answer is as Andy says above: In case you have it on the wrong setting.

cheers Admin but I need one for thursday so gonna have to buy one tomoro.

S60TEM, Why don't you have a look at the ones our sponsor; www.isswww.co.uk, sells?And this is actually a question on one of the City and Guilds exams, and it goes along the lines of...

Why shouldn't you use a Multi function tester (MFT) as a voltage tester?

And the answer is as Andy says above: In case you have it on the wrong setting.
Which is crazy as you use a proving unit to test before and after so why would you be changing the setting between them?

Which is crazy as you use a proving unit to test before and after so why would you be changing the setting between them?
i think its aimed more at you leaving it on wrong setting, and the meter going bang when you connect it (i.e leave it on ammeter setting)

Well, its D-day tomorrow and i'm nervous to be frank!

Doing a bit of last minute scanning through brb and osg etc!

Wish me luck!

TBH... put your books away, if you don't know it by now they'll only confuse you

I don't know what NAPIT are like, but the NIC guys tend to lead you through it whilst throwing the odd question, if you don't know the answer then don't blag it... look it up