please help me??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forkhandles

Reaction score
Hi everyone, 2 years ago i had a new boiler fitted in my bedroom by a reputable company(corgi registered etc) and everything is still working fine!

I live in an old end-terraced house which as a cellar and recently thought about converting the cellar into a spare bedroom or kitchen area.Its been used for storage since we moved in and we hardly go down there.

We've just noticed that one half of the cellar is very damp/smelly and the concrete floor has corroded.

On inspection we've found a ventilation pipe with water trickling out straight onto the floor! This pipe is on the side of the house and is identical ( size,colour,shape) as the drainage pipe that comes from the bathroom.

Basically they've fitted the boiler to the wrong down-pipe,therefore the water/condensation goes straight into our cellar floor and not into the outside drain! This has been happening for 2 years!!

I have also been told that this water is acidic and would explain the corroded floor.

I dont know a thing about heating/boiler systems so any advice would be greatly apprieciated. thanks.

AFAIAA, and Im not a heating engineer, the condensate pipe should go into a proper soakaway. Dont know if this is a recent rev or not. Maybe a plumber will be along soon to give you more info.

If this is the case the installer has messed up and should come along and sort it out for you. If you are wrong and the water is coming from somewhere else, expect a bill!

AIUI it can only drain into a main drainage point, soil stack or hopper and not into a soakaway or gutter etc...

I would guess you are getting LABC involved in your conversion too?

It is 100% from the boiler as the pipe it goes into is an old ventilation pipe that these old houses had years ago. The 2 pipes are only a few meters apart but,at a glance,look exactly the same.The difference is that the drainage pipe goes straight into the ground,but the ventilation pipe goes into the house side near the ground.

The young lads who carried out the work must have assumed it went to the outside drain and not checked it.

I now have a bucket in the cellar to collect to water and pour it down the drain.

Half of the cellar is damp,the floor corroded and everything that was stored is damp and mouldy. Just not sure what to do next?

If this is the case - is he able to claim off of the plumber/gas/heating company that did this?

I have a 'buildings regulations compliance' certificate from the CORGI registered installer, of which a duplicate has been forwarded to my 'local authority building control department.

I meant for converting the cellar into a habitable room.

Sorry, converting is just a thought at the moment,we just had a clear out to see if it would work.

Yes the condensate is acidic and must go into a proper drain. It will corrode your concrete (albeit slowly) and is also poisonous.

You should approach the original installer about reparation. Ask for his public liability insurance details.

Might be worth contacting Gas Safe for further advice.

Now look here Mr 4 Candles, I think you need to be talking to your plumber!

SORRY! I JUST HAD HAD HAD, TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

:innocent :slap :run :^O :tongue in cheek ROTFWL ]:) :coat

1/

Is this reputable company still in business?

2/

What do they say?

3/

Have they got a complaints procedure?

4/

If I have done notifiable electrical work that is installed below standard, customer has rights to get me back to fix it. NICEIC automatically include 6 year insurance backed warranty so customer can use other NIC contractor even if I am not in business anymore.......

SO is there anything similar with Boiler installations & Gas Safe(old Corgi)

5/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qu9MptWyCB8?feature=oembedRuddy classic...

I can still remember watching it first broadcast!!

By the way.

Sorry, forkhandles, no offence meant, just my sense of humour, I could not think of anything to post about the thread, but I just had to post about your user name!!!

One step to remedy the acidity would be to get some lime type substance down on the concrete to neutralise the acid and stop it corroding the floor any more. Soakaways are allowed but a last resort option, and have to be done properly, i.e certain distance from house, depth, proper drainage etc.