spur supplying more than one appliance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choccy

Reaction score
Good evening all I have just been to a job to look at connecting a hand dryer @2.1KW and a small convector heater @500watt the problem is that the tiles and cables have all been done and it is finished ready for connecting, But their is a spur within the ring and 2 supply cables coming from the spur ( with one to each appliance ).

Is it acceptable to connect the 2 appliances to the one spur for control. I know the load is not a problem but would like to know if this is acceptable practice. they are both fed with 2.5mm.

Your comments would be great thanks:coffee

Hi there I could split the spur legs just now and put another spur into the ring to control the appliances seperately.

Good evening all I have just been to a job to look at connecting a hand dryer @2.1KW and a small convector heater @500watt the problem is that the tiles and cables have all been done and it is finished ready for connecting, But their is a spur within the ring and 2 supply cables coming from the spur ( with one to each appliance ).Is it acceptable to connect the 2 appliances to the one spur for control. I know the load is not a problem but would like to know if this is acceptable practice. they are both fed with 2.5mm.

Your comments would be great thanks:coffee
is this spur a fused spur or just 2.5 cables conencted to ring? first acceptable, second isnt

Cant see any immediate danger in the situation you have described but there is a statement somewhere that a fused spur should only be used for one fixed appliance may be onsite guide. Also items over 2kw should be fed from separate circuit not spurred off the ring. I cant really see an issue from a safety perspective except that hand driers do use a fair whack of current and a cheap fused spur may not like having that and a convector heater on at the same time. Its up to you, its hardly a major crime to connect them up but it is a bit of a deviation and you need to weigh up the risks involved in allowing it (what else is powered from the ring, where are main loads on circuit, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry not explained properly the spur is a fused spur within the existing ring and 2 seperate 2.5 cables going to one appliance each.

yes the current being used at top would be 12.6 amp but this is under the 13 so ok?

Why do you think all appliances sold now that plug in are generally 2kw or below? or is it just me on this one?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:01 ----------

Choccy you know and I know that you will connect it up and it will be fine. All I am saying is the regs do not allow this situation now, old appliances used to be 3kw and worked fine spurred off a ring. Now the big red haynes manual says this is not allowed and the max is 2kw. Anything above on dedicated circuit.

section 537.5.1.3 says you can have one switch controlling more than one piece of equipment but cant see the 2kw quote yet.

Probably says recommended then. I could be getting confused with water heaters its been a long week of early early starts and its past my bedtime.