A quick guide to the NEW AM2

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnymc11

Reaction score
Well after passing this exam and knwoing how stressful it can be, i have decided to do a post to hopefully help people feel more comfortable going into the exam itself.

The test is over 3 days: mon-wed or tue-thur

8am start prompt, finish at 4ish.

theres four sections to complete, listed below:

Section A

Fabrication has been removed entirely as it is thought to be a level 2 skill There are also increased expectations on ability to think about installation design. For example, the correct choice of protective device, the selection of RCD/RCBO for relevant circuits and the correct overload setting within the DOL starter which will be changed frequently so has to be calculated on an individual basis.

Below are some of the expectations for the new qualification:

Congratulations on your pass and thank you for taking the time and effort to post this for all of us who have yet to undertake it all!

Exactly the same as what Bane says. ^^^

Cheers mate. :)

cheers jonny, great post well done for passing and sharing info, (MEERKAT) :)

The description you gave of the am2 jonymc11 was excellent and helped me a lot, especially the bit about the rcbo. if there was any advice i would give, it would be to keep calm and try not to panic, the 8.30hrs to complete the install is quite difficult. You need to work at a fast pace it is very intense exam. I would say well done to anyone who passes the am2 young and old. cheers jonymc11 well done mate!!!

No?????????? to it being made a sticky?

Everyone's finding it very helpful - just thought it would be easier to find, thats all.

Can someone tell me how I will measure Zs on the motor circuit or will the examiner alow me to calculate it, and the PFC will I measure each phase seperatly to neutral and then double my highest reading, thanks in advance guys.

sorry might sound stupid but when you say external socket to be rcd protected I don't know how?

do you mean the whole ring main will be covered by an rcd because I thought the board will have an rcd already covering each circuit?

more detail please