RCD Fail - What code?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymalarky

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum to get some light on this subject as there is an ongoing argument within my company!

RCD fails to trip on both x1 and x5...Which code would you guys determine for this defect?

Cheers!

its fitted but faulty, so it requires improvement,

it cant be a code 1 as there is no immediate danger,

so for me, code 2

if there were NO RCD whatsoever then its only a 4,

code 3-requires investigation , ? why? you know its a faulty RCD, you have found the fault.....

this is assuming you have proved you have an earth etc, which all should have been done prior to RCD test.

so,

CODE 2

I would have said Code 2 and totally agree with Steptoe, although many of our other testers disagree and Code 1 it! Particular picky client I'm doing this periodic for, therefor I want to be bang on.

its fitted but faulty, so it requires improvement,it cant be a code 1 as there is no immediate danger,

so for me, code 2

if there were NO RCD whatsoever then its only a 4,

code 3-requires investigation , ? why? you know its a faulty RCD, you have found the fault.....

this is assuming you have proved you have an earth etc, which all should have been done prior to RCD test.

so,

CODE 2
Just read your reply Steps before I gave my answer of Code 1. I can see where your coming from as no immediate danger but I was thinking about disconnection times not being met which is a potential danger thats my reason for code 1.

Can't be a code 1 as that's for exposed live parts and the like,, things that pose an immediate danger

As this could only be dangerous in the event of another fault then it has to be a Code 2

Can't be a code 1 as that's for exposed live parts and the like,, things that pose an immediate dangerAs this could only be dangerous in the event of another fault then it has to be a Code 2
I understand that too. Exposed live parts for e.g. as Code 1. I understand that the codes are changing in July and wonder whats going to change.

I would give it a Code 1, But it depends on the system as if it,s TT what Code would you give it then would definitely be Code 1 just my thoughts

As suggested we need to know the earthing arrangement. Have you tested it on its own disconnected from all circuits?

Doc H.

Its definitely a grey area anyway, I think im gonna go with it as a Code 2, purely for the fact that as it stands it doesn't pose any immediate danger unless the RCD is relied upon, however it obviously needs improved! I have a feeling the coding for defects will definitely change with the next amendment, too vague, not enough scope.

TNS arrangement!

Steptoe - Thats super, would save me a lot of bother! :)

I would give it a Code 1, But it depends on the system as if it,s TT what Code would you give it then would definitely be Code 1 just my thoughts
well its only the 30mA one that is faulty, so still only a problem if another fault occurs first, still NO immediate danger.

TNS less of a danger assuming Zs is all good for MCB operating times and bonding all in place.

Doc H.

i would code it a 1, the circuit is designed in a way in which the rcd is needed! if it doesn't work it becomes dangerous in my opinion. There is an immediate danger as there is no protection against electric shock, in the same respect of using a nail in a fuse, there is no protection for overcurrent. It doesn't make it an improvement if we have one or the other.

If tt supply and eli is high then i would say code 1 as the fuse or mcb will not operate as it should if the eli is above its tabulated value.

If tns/tncs and ze and eli are within limits for the protective devices then i would say code 2 this is not immediatly dangerous just classed as not to current standards and requires improvement by replacement of the faulty rcd.

Just the same as you would class a db fitted with all mcb,s and no rcd protection if the eli meets the requirments then it can,t be classed as dangerous

If you PIR an installation and an rcd serving a special location does not work this is a code 2? So we can bypass the need for protection against electric shock as there is protection for overcurrent? I would say it is a deffinate immediate danger, I'd like to see the spark who would walk away from a swimming pool with no RCD protection coding it a 2. Maybe its just me.

Code 2 as you need another fault to require the RCD proteciton, is my view.

However, you may have associated Code 2 faults, which cumulatively could present a Code 1.

A faulty RCD cannot kill you unless somethign else goes wrong.

Direct contact with a live conductor can thus Code 1.

If you PIR an installation and an rcd serving a special location does not work this is a code 2? So we can bypass the need for protection against electric shock as there is protection for overcurrent? I would say it is a deffinate immediate danger, I'd like to see the spark who would walk away from a swimming pool with no RCD protection coding it a 2. Maybe its just me.
do you code a special location wired to the 15th/14th/13th without RCD protection a code 1 ?

No RCD protection or defective RCD protection or RCD protection not required at the time of installation are all different scenarios that need to be coded accordingly, and in context.