SPECIAL LOCATION

When did you last rewire a 3036 fuse???

When did you last rewire a 3036 fuse?  

1. 1. When did you last rewire a 3036 fuse?

• During the past week
    • During the past month
    • During the past year
    • Cant remember, greater than 1 year ago
    • Never!
    • Patches option lambs are baby sheep and are no good at fixing SWA!.

batty

I did a 60 amp one this week probably the first time ever.

applemac

did a 5 amp last week, blew quite a bit in the past, woman asked me to look at bedroom socket as it was blowing fuses when hairdryer

was on, found that mr home owner had put himself a nice new socket, but into the 1.5 lighting circuit feeding extension lights.

bleeding ring was only 6 inches away

Technician

Found two 30 amp BS3036 in two

15 amp holders recently.

Persuaded the householder to allow

me to remove them all and fit circuit

breakers instead.

Steve3948

Well I found 30A wire in a 5A Fuse and wondered what all that was about.

When I found why I was amazed, in the roof space a 1.5mm T&E from the centre bathroom light went into a 30A Joint Box, where a 6mm T&E came out went to the Shower Pull Switch and then to Shower.

So the Shower was wired off the lighting, checked the cabling in the roof for signs of overheating, but looked ok, checked fuseboard looked ok, pulled fuse disconnected circuit, phoned council to report tenant DIY.

Tenant not very unhappy, collect tools and run.

I only found this because I was connecting heating controls for a plumbing firm contracted to council for heating installs, and had to check or carry out all bonding necessary, so checking for 4mm in roof off light.

steptoe

When I found why I was amazed, in the roof space a 1.5mm T&E from the centre bathroom light went into a 30A Joint Box, where a 6mm T&E came out went to the Shower Pull Switch and then to Shower.

So the Shower was wired off the lighting, checked the cabling in the roof for signs of overheating, but looked ok, checked fuseboard looked ok, pulled fuse disconnected circuit, phoned council to report tenant DIY.

I only found this because I was connecting heating controls for a plumbing firm contracted to council for heating installs, and had to check or carry out all bonding necessary, so checking for 4mm in roof off light.

why?

yet another monkey see monkey do is it?

tell me why you would actually need a 4mm from the light?

greg1982

I used to have to do it everytime I got home a little tipsy I had a fault on outside light controlled from 2 gang switch just inside door. I used a butter knife to rewire fuse i hate bringing tools into the house. Afters weeks of swearing I finally broke a driver in unscrewed the switch and disconnected switch wire job done lol

jakecameron

Greg I don't think you should be aloud an electrical installation again!

Hope the butter knife was insulated.

greg1982

Jeeeeek that's a true story in fact possibly the only misleading part was in all honesty it was months rather than weeks and don't worry I always waited till I was sober before getting the lights back on lol

Steve3948
why?

yet another monkey see monkey do is it?

tell me why you would actually need a 4mm from the light?

Steps, tell me about it, this was a council specification, along with 1.5mm

steptoe
Steps, tell me about it, this was a council specification, along with 1.5mm

Steve3948
did you get this in writing from them that they wanted a deviation from 7671?

that usually scares the **** outta them and they nthen want a meeting with you,

tell their 'electrical supervisor' you wont do it unless he issues an SR signed by a competent person (ie, him) as to why you are required to place additional requirements to 7671 and they usually dont have a clue.

I do quite a lot of LA and TBH most of their specs are 16th, once I pull them on it I usually get an e.mail stating 'carte blanche' as long as to current regs.

Steps, do you find they back down though, because I find that because they are paying it's do it or F*****f.

The plumbing contractor just wanting to keep the peace, like when I moaned about cross bonding all pipework underneath a combi boier, where all pipes are all connected to solid manifold, I refused to do it so they refused to pay until completed, so he had the plumbers do them instead.

steptoe

if they still really want it doing then do it, but get it in writing from them, their spec or something, then in the deviations box put something like "blah de blah as requested by numpties name on specification xxxx"

after a couple of them they usually want to meet you.

I had one a while back where the gas supervisor kept demanding it, along with 3 amp fuses, I politely explained my cable was adequately protected by a 13a fuse but I did fit 3a as a courtesy, its the boiler instructions that ask for 3 a no nothing to do with a spark,

and that if they are fitting boilers to BS then they already meet the required bonding standard and if they need anything else doing I suggest he shows me where in BS7671 it is as their spec states I need to comply with that. he came to site, I explained this to him and showed him the manifold, he left happy, and, I think, actually enlightened, he was going on what other sparks had told him and didnt know any different.

He seemed happy to have it actually explained to him and shown just why it wasnt needed.

kerching

Dolphin showers use to do it loads. Went to one that was spurred off the shaver socket! It was back in the day when dolphin showers were operated by an internal pull cord behind the mirrored face. Pull the switch to 'off position' and it was designed to put an earth fault onto its own internal FVO RCD. Pulling cord to 'on position' reset the breaker .....quality product.........:coat

professional

I re-wire 3036`s on a regular basis - 5A, 10A, 15A, 20A, 30A (and occasionally 45A).

SLIPSHOD & SLAPDASH

Yesterday

christhe

fairly often, have never liked doing it though.

ProDave

I voted "never"

But that's because I carry a box full of all sizes complete with intact fuse wire. Saves the bother of replacing the fuse wire.

I also carry some plug in circuit breakers and try and sell the customer an upgrade.

I still get plenty of CU upgrades where I take out the old rewireables to keep my stock topped up.

Sidewinder

Today,

But, it was a 5A Slydlok, not quite the thing you would carry ready wired on the van!

Shorted out an e-stop removing it as the labelling on the cct's was to pot!

Got the collie-wobbles a bit tbh after the flash!

steptoe

OMG

havent you ever heard of safe isolation?!

DEKE,

get the electric police here quick,!

SW needs struck off!