3 Phase Time Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmet

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just about to install a 3 phase 8 Way DB that will feed 4 x 9Kw 3 phase immersion elements.

The customer has asked for each element to be fitted with a time switch.

The elements will be controlled by a 20amp Rotary Isolation switch.

What can I install, and where should it be installed?

The elements are due to be hard wired, but I suppose I could fit a 32amp plug onto the tail?

Cheers

Dave

I would get a sarel/rital hinged enclosure approx 300x200x150 fit a dinrail in it and mount a 4pole isolator ,3pole contactor ,timer & a 2amp mcb (for control circuit) on front of enclosure mount isolator handle to lock the enclosure lid when on,mount enclosure adjacent heater/tank fit kopex from enclosure to heater and wire it up.You must use heat resisting cable correctly sized from heater to contactor also for control of contactor via heater thermostat,most 3phase immersion heaters have two thermostat pockets for inclusion of a safety high limit stat,you could also put a couple of indicator lights on the front of enclosure.The above would cost approx

Hi all.

OK, the plan has changed!

There can be a single timeswitch to control power from main isolator to DB.

What is available out there, that can handle this load?

Cheers

Dave

PS

It also needs to have a manual override to stich the timeswitch off!

As per Benji above, and fit an on / off push button into the door?

That way you have to reset it in the event of a power fail.

IF it MUST come back on after a power fail, then use a latching switch in the door?

Just wire the controls for the 4 contactors in parallel feeding each one from the DB?

Put a local isolator at each immersion if the control panel is remote?

Really you need to be able to isolate the panel, though with 4 circuits scrap that!...

Use one timer fed from another db way to run 4 seperate boards similar to the suggestion above?

You could put the timer control in a small enclosure in an accesible area, or even use a domestic timer as you would be just controlling the contactors, then use a box like the suggestion by Benji for each heater just leaving out the timer?

Not really now sure what you are trying to achieve!

It feels tooo late now, don;t know why very tired all of a sudden!