Emergency services scam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktguk

Reaction score
Had a phone call last week offering me the opportunity to advertise with north wales fire and rescue (shortly after a call form

i have had the same thing a couple of times, down here in kent...

i actually placed an add in the mag, waited ages etc so was not happy esp with the print etc...

had a phone call 4 months later saying that i own them x amount, said i never placed an add with them (different company), and said that they

can speak to my lawers if they think that they are getting anymore money out of me, never heard back since.

i have had the same thing a couple of times, down here in kent...i actually placed an add in the mag, waited ages etc so was not happy esp with the print etc...

had a phone call 4 months later saying that i own them x amount, said i never placed an add with them (different company), and said that they

can speak to my lawers if they think that they are getting anymore money out of me, never heard back since.
did they print you add? everytime theyve rang its a different service fire/police/ambulance

they printed the first add that i agreed too, when they called me up the second time, they said the add was at the printers and i had to pay up, when i said i have never placed an additional add, i was not paying and that they can speak to my lawer, they soon got the message and hanged up.. never heard back from they thank god,

oh, second time round they said that they where calling from a different company...

This one goes around under different guises. I was pestered by them several times when I first started up, but not for a long time.

You do get an advert for you money, so it's not a "complete" scam, but the publication has such a small circulation that I very very much doubt you will get any work from the advert.

So I just say, sorry I've got all the advertising I need in place already so I don't need any more.

just ignore them. everytime i get a call saying there from some emergency magazine or something they getcut off and their number blocked.

also, if you get a call from 0151, its almost guaranteed to be a scam

I just tell them.......

"As the director of Fire brigade communications & PR, I must check as I have not approved any such requests to use your company for printing"

That soon gets shot of them.

HA HA had a scouser ring me today about going in a police magazine ! Classic.....

had a few calls from this and other advertisers, i just tell them not interested, one actually text me after saying i could have at least taken the time to listen to what he had to offer. pain in the ass the lot of them. they must just go through nic web sites ect ringing contractors

for those of you with a blackberry, you can get a program to blacklist phone numbers. they phone you, you block them, they phone again and get disconnected immediately. clicky

probably a version of those for others

I got conned by these scams a few years back what I will guarantee you won't get any work from it and as I have said before don't buy things over the phone that way you won't get conned.

They must be scraping new listings on business directory websites or similar. I had just addded a listing to thompsons and uk small business directory The next day the phone rang offering a slot in a police magazine with only a limited amount of spaces left - I just blocked them in the end as it was my mobile.

One of the big scams this one ! Been going round all the different trades for the past few years or so ! The Liverpool accent (no offence to anyone from there BTW) seems to be the common factor in this one !

Did you know that the term 'Scally' specifically refers to someone from Liverpool, can't think why though ?: