Standard White Accessories.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartrw79

Reaction score
Hi

I have always used MK for standard white accessories, they are a bit more expensive than most other brands but I think its worth it, just wondered what most of you guys used ?

LeGrand as standard issue, sometimes GET Ultimate (LG fit easier). MK only when the best is required.

Crabtree only where they are to fit in with existing style (I think they've gone seriously downhill, sockets especially).

For shower pull, Crabtree all the way.

Won't buy ccc - customer can supply if they want, but no warranty.

I used Marbo once on a job that was supplied. I wasn't really impressed with them. I mainly use MK logic but It does depend on what the customer requests as they are paying..I have used GET sockets but found the Zs readings to be all over the place with a couple of them. Maybe a bad batch!!

You really need to try the Hager Solysta range. I have used GET for years and the odd MK

I think MK is not a good standard now- stopped using their consumer units a couple of years ago (build quality issues)

Generally use Contactum on most jobs unless something else is asked for. Have used Legrand in past but my main wholesaler could not get the discounts so stopped suppying it. I find MK too expensive for contract work so don't use it.

I find that here is little difference in price between GET and MK. Mk gear tends to be better design in the layout of terminals and they are pre-opened som you only have to tighten - saves time. MK seem to last foSo, MK first choice, GET second and would not touch Marbo!!!!

If cost is an issue then i sometimes (rarely) use marbo - used them at home, they're okay but not much to look at. For everything else I use crabtree as they are not as expensive as MK and dont look too bad either. Also like the dual earth terminal.

What surface mount boxes does everyone use. Them cheapies are proper crap as if you drop them once they smash to smithereens and if you try drilling them, they crack instantly. Just wondered if anyone used a particular brand which is decent?

What surface mount boxes does everyone use. Them cheapies are proper crap as if you drop them once they smash to smithereens and if you try drilling them, they crack instantly. Just wondered if anyone used a particular brand which is decent?
I always use the ones made by the same manufacturer as the accessories I'm fitting, tbh never had to drill one. Marbo I've found to okay, but they are cheap and i'd probably avoid them given the choice

Sounds like yo night be better off with the PVC ones instead of the polycarbonate ones mate;)

,,,, but I try to always use the ones by the same manufacturer as the accessory and if drilling for screws I always mark, remove and drill rather than drill through the box.... If you are actually drilling the box and it's cracking then try a sharper drill and a bit less pressure

Never use round edge boxes with square accessories it looks terrible. Contactum boxes look ok if you are using MK accessoiries or vice versa.

always use click mode, look very smart with there curved profile, terminals are good quality and dual earths too on sockets. extremley cheap compared to mk but think quality not far off. also the range is huge and make up type of switches you want (the other day had 2gang sized switch with dimmer, int, 1 way and 2 way switches - u'll never be able to do that with any other, i think! and the price was not an issue).

wayne

Voted Other.

Only time I have used MK logic is for grid switches and when client especially ask for it. I think its over priced over rated rubish. Always used GET before but have now started using the new Hager range, which are rated 10amps, can swap switch modules over, they have a neutral terminal on the plate and a nice smooth switch action. 'Hager the horrible' really seem to have got there act together lately as there consumer units are good quality aswell. Just my 2p of course.

Voted Other.Only time I have used MK logic is for grid switches and when client especially ask for it. I think its over priced over rated rubish. Always used GET before but have now started using the new Hager range, which are rated 10amps, can swap switch modules over, they have a neutral terminal on the plate and a nice smooth switch action. 'Hager the horrible' really seem to have got there act together lately as there consumer units are good quality aswell. Just my 2p of course.
I disagree, and I've used them all over the last 40 years, I have settled with MK Logic and cannot remember that last one that failed me.

To be honest you can get discounts which make them about the same as many others, however cheap stuff like Volex will always be cheap and last about 12 months tops.

Voted other. No problems with Denmans own Designa range. Denmans is only 1 mile away from me! Cheap and look good.

I think MK are living on past reputation - very overpriced and not that good.

Crabtree always looks dated to me.

I fit loads of volex, I would say hundreds of pieces a month easily [council spec volex] , and have very very few callbacks, none I can honestly think about TBH for the past 4years!

shower pull switches are rubbish though, crabtree for them all the way.

If you want cheap but nice looking and versatile, I vote for Click Mode.

Shame the likes of Screwfix and Toolstation don't stock them.