VAT rates when buying pv kits.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyones enjoying the Easter break. Just a quick one regarding buying solar pv items from wholesalers. Am I right in thinking that it's only 5% vat and not the usual 20%? I think it is but I want to make sure before I bodge the quote lol

Thanks fellas.

I've got a job to install 2 x 3.99kw installs, the customer wants to buy their own panels, so what do they pay? 5% or 20% and how is it supposed to work?

hmm, just had a little read up.

So for supply only VAT is at 20%

but for supply and install VAT is at 5%

So if you are vat registered you claim back the 20% and charge 5%

but if your not you pay 20% on the panels. Grrrrr! My old mans vat registered, so he could in theory sub the labour out to me.

Sellers,

Are you MCS registered too?

If not how are you gonna sort the FITS etc. out?

I am interested in all things solar as I am not yet sorted with my biggest client and if I loose that I will be looking to plug a BIG hole!

Renewables may be the plug!

I am not yet MCS registered, I have offered this first job labour free to help me gain accredited and to help the client keep cost down, the client also wants panels on his rented houses so these will be charged for. He is happy to wait for the registration to go through. Its the old catch 22 of not being registered but needing to be registered to do an installation to show for registration!!

I did get a job 2 months back that i had quoted for, same situation but the elderly couple couldn't get the grant off the local council with me not being MCS and the council wouldn't accept for me to cover the cost of the grant until i sign the job off.

I did the 3 day PV course last october, it was put on by wf wades (rexel,senate) wholesalers in manchester.

If all goes to plan tomorrow when looking at this job and the customer likes the costings then I'll sign myself onto the mcs 3 day course at my local training centre to get all the paper work together!

sellers, you really dont need a course to become MCS if you have the PV course,

you just need to give someone like this a bag of money.

your first install just needs to be done by someone with the PV accreditation.

I thought you needed MCS? Which from what I've been told is a load of paperwork which nostly isn't really relevant to a small business like mine but I would still need it? Whats classed as PV accredited? I did a 3day Course which gives a logic certificate.

I think your course will be your PV accreditation, you have a cert?

PV installer?

working at heights?

manual handling?

CoSHH?

you need all of the above as a minimum.

then to gain your MCS you need to be a member of a scam scheme such as REAL in order to become MCS registered.

mmmmm, velly interesting.

Qualification/paperwork wise What do I need [if anything] to connect up the installation i.e.

Mains supply from distribution board

Mains supply to inverter

Generation meter and isolators

Inverter

DC Isolator

Array cables into DC Isolator

Basically everything 'within' the building

This would be done for a company which is undergoing the MCS accreditation process. They will install the panels and install/route all the cables and supply all the equipment.

I have 2382

part P Approval

and I am an NICEIC AC

and where is everybody buying the MC4 crimp tooling etc from?

TBH kerching I don't know, I've heard of companies advertising as MCS and but using MCS sub contractors, I've also heard of companies being MCS and using non MCS sub contractors.

I don't know if theres any laws on it, but if designed properly and installed properly its quite easy to inspect that the work has been done properly, so you could be supervised in a way.

mmmmm, velly interesting.Qualification/paperwork wise What do I need [if anything] to connect up the installation i.e.

Mains supply from distribution board

Mains supply to inverter

Generation meter and isolators

Inverter

DC Isolator

Array cables into DC Isolator

Basically everything 'within' the building

This would be done for a company which is undergoing the MCS accreditation process. They will install the panels and install/route all the cables and supply all the equipment.

I have 2382

part P Approval

and I am an NICEIC AC

and where is everybody buying the MC4 crimp tooling etc from?
kerching,

unless the installer is MCS accredited then the installation will not comply with the MCS requirements,

its a weird one, but that is how it goes.

bit like signing off someone elses work,

actually, they look on it a lot more severely.

Basically the company that want to use me have no interest in elecktrickery and all its regulations etc. They will have all the paperwork, working at heights, MH, COSHH etc and just be subbing the electrickery bits to me, So to my mind I would not need anything other than what I already have.

As far as the connectors are concerned....the Inverters are SunnyBoy and come with the tool-free SunClix connectors. The panels come with MC4s [so far] and need extending down to the inverter isolator. Looking at some crimper prices, it's a joke. FFS how hard can squashing a wire be??? I must have the equivalent of the national Debt of a small Principlaity in crimp tools.

RG58, RG59, RYB, 6-10-16, 16-25-35, bootlace ferrules to 50mm, hydraulic 6mm to 400mm [3 sets] the list goes on and on. and now Solar crimpers as well!!!!! back in the day we used to use a flooring chisel and a big 'ammer... :coat

I'll see what MM can do on tooling.....MM are you there?

Think I'll be contacting MM for a deal on some test equipment.