Potterton Netaheat Mk 2F White Rodgers valve

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark2spark

Reaction score
Hi, re: the thread title, I have fault finded the problem to this gas valve, assuming I can locate one of these, can I have some considered opinions please, whether I (member of part p scheme and therefore deemed electrically competent) could replace this.

Not really interested in the in's and out's of the legalities of it, just whether it's feasible or not.

Assume the boiler is unconnected and on my patio if it helps :D

Many thanks, Mark.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:40 ----------

Sorry, bit more info, it's the 10 - 16 version, not Electronic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends if you are doing it for money because if you are you need to be gas safe registered daft really because you probably would fix it better than a heating engineer.

Thanks batty.

No, it's my boiler at my house, house is currently up for sale, so not really wishing to have to fork out for a new boiler.

I suppose what I'm asking, is that is it a similar task to, say, replacing a starter motor, an alternator, or a water pump, on a car? I.E. a like for like exchange, undo a few nuts and simply refit the new? Or is there something special that I should be aware of?

Not sure is it a valve that needs taking out ie in the gas line if so its probably better to get a gas engineer in but if its electrical you could probably do it yourself. I think its a case of only doing it if you are happy too.

If it's a solenoid valve you may be able to just replace the coil,, just undo the nut on top and it should slide off.

TBH absolutely honest I wouldn't trust my gas safe mate or even his gas safe son to replace an internal boiler component;)

I done a diverter valve on my own boiler a while back,

IMHO, and if you are not doing it for payment, and it is not directly connected to a gas line,

then fill your boots.

Thank you all for your replies. Am so far drawing a blank on sourcing the part so it might be a no go anyway. Thanks again.

Well, I stripped it down, looked easy enough to undo and replace, but didn't have time to put too much effort into locating a spare/replacement one... in the meantime a potential buyer for my house came looking, spotted the age of the boiler, and offered the full asking price if I would fit (I mean a Gas Safe engineer would fit) a new boiler as part of the deal.

I snatched his hand off lol :D

New boiler now fitted. I retained the spark generator off the potterton (as it's less than 6 months old) if anyone needs one.