Frost free freezer problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcyB

Reaction score
Hi all.

We have a ProLine frost free freezer. the warning light has come on and stayed on. It usually comes on when the little heater comes on to defrost the freezer element. Has any one any ideas on how to fix this or does it have to be a new freezer?

Thanks

Malc

Possibly defrost element or control system failure?

I would not think it needs a replacement.

Can you trace any of the wiring?

Is it staying cold?

Is the defrost heater on all the time?

Yeah, the light stays on all the time. The freezer is working, we have some ice packs in the top shelf which are frozen but the bread just below is not totally frozen, so I assume that the heater is an all the time?

OK, can you get to the power connections on the heater?

If so is there power there?

Can you trace these back?

There will be a control of some sort, timer I would "guess" in there somewhere, I would also guess that if the defrost heater has continual power, which it seems to then this could be goosed?

Can you trace the wires back?

Steptoe. I might give that a try first just to see what happens?

Sidewinder. I haven't tried taking anything apart yet, if turning it off first doesn't work I'll have to start taking it apart at the week end.

Update:

Heater was on all the time. Traced heater wires to timer, disconnected heater, this did not make a difference to the temperature in freezer so looks like other problem with freezer.

Decided on new freezer!

Doesn't the timer turn the compressor off when the heater is on??
Yes but the heater was on all the time. I disconnected it, but the temperature still wasn't getting below -4. So there was also something else wrong anyway.

New freezer arrived today.

Thanks for all the replies.