C&G 2330 Level 2 - 204 Practical Exam (fluorescent & 3 phase)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebow72

Reaction score
I don't know if this is of any use, but I undertook my 204 exam today, passed with an distinction. I found it pretty easy and if there is anyone about to take it, don't panic or worry. It's a pretty simple exercise in taking a few readings and documenting them. You also have to explain why the reading is different with the capacitor in and out of the circuit, explain why a choke has an effect and what the capacitor does.

I also had to compile a risk assessment, PPE and tools list as If I was doing a job in a public place, again pretty straight forward, if you do a bit of reading and revision on it, you can't go wrong. I will go into more detail too if anyone needs too.

I just have my 'bay in a day' to do next week now.

Congrats I got my 204 in a few weeks and my 205 , having just done my 206 this week now eagerly awaiting the results.

I will go into more detail too if anyone needs too.I just have my 'bay in a day' to do next week now.
Well done. :Applaud

It is alway welcomed to go into detail, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Don't forget to take some before, during and after photos too for us, mate.

Couldn't take any photo's but here's what I did...

3 phase - you need to check the voltage between each phase (L1+L2, L2+L3, L3+L1), then between each phase and neutral. We had 3 100w bulbs connected to 3 separate sockets on each phase, using a clip on ammeter you check the current through each phase and check the neutral. Make a note of your readings as you test. The written bit asks what would cause return current to flow down the neutral. You have to write a short bit on this.

Fluorescent - take readings at circuit with the capacitor in / out, at the choke, at the light and supply. take readings for volts and amps.

The written bit asks why the voltage at the choke and the the light don't add up to the supply voltage, all to do with power factor and phasor diagrams. Also you have to explain what a capacitor does in this circuit.

There are 2 other written bits are to do with 'Safe Isolation Procedure' and 'Tools and PPE' you have to imagine you are about to repair a light at the public place IE shopping center, gym and so on...List what items of PPE you would need and what tools, don't forget barriers, signs, locking off equipment..

I recommended you do a bit of planning on what PPE you would use, as the list is endless, if you show you have planned it goes in your favor. Also if you can slightly expand on the 'Safe Isolation Procedure', again it show's you have done some revision and not turned up like some and have no idea..

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:45 ----------

I have my 'Bay in a Day' 206 on Monday and Tuesday..I will take some pictures and post them with as much info as I can..

You need a tools list for this exam, just testing equipment. If you are filling out a list for a made up job, which is what I had to do, just think of what you have used in the past.

Tools - screwdrivers VDE, hammer, snips, pliers, wire strippers, spirit level, hacksaw, junior hacksaw, stocks and dye's and pyro terminating tools.

It all depends on the job itself, not more than what you have used in the past I imagine, sadly all our course work for the exams has to be kept at college for external marking and I wasn't able to make a copy otherwise I would post it. However I do feel it's good sometimes if you have a go yourself.

Hope this helps a bit

For most of the old lags this is gonna seem somewhat patronising, but I know it will probably slip some of the students' minds:

Don't forget to make sure (if using a multimeter) you're measuring voltage on the voltage setting, and current on the current setting.

Else you'll likely blow the meter and therefore probably fail

Hi i`m not sure what to put down for this (Q1) explain why V1 and V2 dose not dd up to Vs,(Q2) why the addition of the capacitor reduces the supply current if you can help me with this it would be great thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 204, think about the phase relationships between

the voltages in the circuit containing the choke and the

lamp, and the phase relationships between the two currents

flowing in the parallel branches.

Remember, the current is common to the choke and the lamp

and the voltage is common to the parallel branches.

204 % 206 are centre devised assessments so will be different at different colleges, so candidates should be aware that what other forum members have done may not be exactly what they are doing. The assessments are approved by the External Verifier (on behalf of the City & Guilds)to ensure they meet the C&G requirements.

204 % 206 are centre devised assessments so will be different at different colleges, so candidates should be aware that what other forum members have done may not be exactly what they are doing. The assessments are approved by the External Verifier (on behalf of the City & Guilds)to ensure they meet the C&G requirements.
At my college they referred this as the "labs" exam. 6No rigs of their own design in a large room on the following:

1) Star / Delta - Current & Voltage Measurement

2) Power & Power Factor Measurement

3) Power, Current & Voltage for 3 Phase Motors

4) R.L.C Circuits

5) Fluorescent circuitry and Power Factor Correction

6) Voltage Drop

Extract from my "labs" fluorescent one if of any interest. You basically got given a spec and bunch of components, leads etc. Assemble it, test it, draw it up etc.

p24.jpg

p25.jpg

p26.jpg

p27.jpg

Hi

I have my 2 day practical coming up and wandered if you have a detailed material list I could have.

Thanks

Chris

Hi I have my 2 day practical coming up and wandered if you have a detailed material list I could have.

Thanks

Chris
As I said in my post these are Centre Devised Assessments, if you get a materials list from a candidate at another college it will be a materials list for another installation which could make you look a bit silly...

I don't know if this is of any use, but I undertook my 204 exam today, passed with an distinction. I found it pretty easy and if there is anyone about to take it, don't panic or worry. It's a pretty simple exercise in taking a few readings and documenting them. You also have to explain why the reading is different with the capacitor in and out of the circuit, explain why a choke has an effect and what the capacitor does.

I also had to compile a risk assessment, PPE and tools list as If I was doing a job in a public place, again pretty straight forward, if you do a bit of reading and revision on it, you can't go wrong. I will go into more detail too if anyone needs too.

I just have my 'bay in a day' to do next week now.
congratulations and yes please do update us with more info if you can. My assessment is due soon( not sure if this is going to take place or not) . i am trying to get ready as much as i can through on line resources . Thanks

You didn’t look at the posting date did you? 2011,  9 years ago, so I doubt that if they haven’t updated the thread by now they won’t be any time soon.

Good luck in your assessment.

You didn’t look at the posting date did you? 2011,  9 years ago, so I doubt that if they haven’t updated the thread by now they won’t be any time soon.

Good luck in your assessment.

I'd forgotten I'd posted that college lab assignment of mine!