Android appz

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon chaps' and chapettes'.

After recently getting my first android phone (HTC Desire Z) I have decided to expand my programming knowledge into the world of mobile apps (android of course). Been thinking what I could do as my first project and have come up with an electricians reference app. I often find myself at work needing quick reference and not having my books on me. Be it doing a PIR or EIC and not being able to remember every simgle beaker capacity or max Zs's. You get the idea. May also implement calcs into the same app or a new app.

So, the reason I am making this post is..... I want your opinions!

What reference material do you think would be benificial?

Would you include calcs as same app, or a new one?

What calcs would you find benificial?

Is that how you spell beneficial? lol

Anything else.

Also, I'm thinking about (not approached admin yet, so this is news to him too) creating a TEF app to view the forum. I know there is tapatalk, but to be honest it simply doesn't work for me. I've tried various version and whenever I try to reply to a PM it force closes and I get annoyed, especially if it was a long reply. Please, no-body hold me to this though. firstly it's just an idea. Secondly, I have no idea how successful this android app development process is going to go.

Thanks for reading.

:Spam2​

...Now what about doing this for the apple platform
:C Never heard of them mate, are they new to the scene?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:38 ----------

Thanks for the ideas though canoeboy. Was deffo going for reference tables, although I don't have a brb so will need to do some asking/hunting/research when the time comes. Got an OSG to get me started. Never thought of the correction factors, that's a good one, cheers.

Think I will come up with a 'features' list for (re)viewing, Easier to keep on track with. This programming lark has methodologies to follow ya know. lol.

Just started reading Android Application for Dummies (about 400 pages of textual pleasure) and need to work through that but will start the app along side it. i.e. as it works through layouts - I start building the layout, etc.

TEF will have it's stamp on there too. Give it a feature sceen of some sort. Again need to think of how to lay it out and what wording to put.

Would still like the ideas to flow in guys. Also, what you think would be pointless to put into it, if anything.

well, if my android app turns out ok. i'll put it on market for a quid. Then if i make enough to be able to afford the $99 fee to join the apple iphone developer program then I may look into it ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:26 ----------

Oh yer. And I'd have to purchase a Mac. Good ol Apple. Not a company to promote freedom.

ooooh, you have a dev acc. Then I'll give you the pseudo code and android code for you to 'knock it up' on your mac and run it through the signing process / deploy to market. he he. I wonder if I could vnc one of your many macs and use it as a dev base. lol

Cable sizing would deffo be something Id give you a quid for.

As canoe suggests, working backwards kinda thing, I put in OCPD size and run length, it tells me the size, oh, and 3ph capability would be great,!

Souns good canoe, we'll see how I get on.

Also, people of the elctrical world, I'm looking for ideas on a name for the app.

Dont know whether to go all formal with something like:

Electricians Reference,

Electricians Reference and Calcs,

Electricians Help,

Or informal with something like:

SparkyBook,

SparkiesRef,

I would go with something like:

Electricians Reference and Calcs,

Mate.

Barx,

You can be assured mate that we will help you with any data you need.

The only thing would be translating the 240V values to 230V.

As this would be required "officially".

I have some old regs books here, 14th, 15th, 16th & obviously 17th!

Doh, All day that... all day. And it gets blown oout in 2 posts lol.

I'm trying to keep the name short as long names get cropped on the phone. hence just onsite mini guide. Then using the icon to give more info. Maybe just take the 7671 mumbo jumbo off the icon and Just have TEF Mini Guide. Also, need to make it so people would know what it is. That's what I hoped the 7671 reference would do.