usb to scart lead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to connect my notebook to the TV so I can watch videos, concerts etc etc on the big screen. Will a USB to scart adaptor do this or is there a better way?

Has your tv got a VGA socket?

If yes you could use VGA for video then phono jack lead for sound maybe

I'll have to have a look (wifey is watching corrie at the mo), It's defo got scart, and the red yellow blue jacks, but it's a bit old for anyhting else. I've sen various usb to scart adaptor things on Amazon, but tey all talk about capturing video etc etc, whereas i want to play (I assume they will but wasn't sure, hence question)

Binky, I have a convertor thingie I got gave to me, converts VGA to AV, Svideo etc, IIRC the guy got it at Maplins,

its yours if you want it, it works fine, I just tried it on the old TV in the bedroom.

I need to look for the rest of the leads mind,

I'll try see if I can get a link so you can see if it will do your job.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:23 ----------

one of these , Im pretty sure, could get the code off the box if you think its about right, not sure about audio though, might need a jack lead for that.

will this do your job?

Yes please Steps - didn't think I neede something quite so complex, but thinking about it, I should have known straight adaptor thingy wouldn't do the job, and explains why all the adptor things I was looking at talk about capturing video off TV and not playing it back.

usb to scarps more liekly to be for video capture. You can get vga to component video leads but I think you need to chnage the input to rgb on the input on the tv. vga to scart is not that good as its only designed to carry 576i and you will want to put more than that into it and hopefully progressive too.

You can definitely use the usb scart lead for watching videos and t.v. You are going to need few things like vga to component leads and then got to take the connection. last month I also got my connection to my notebook and running smoothly.

A lot of laptops up to around a year ago had an SVideo connection, finding an LCD or plasma with an SVideo maybe a bit more tricky!!

You can definitely use the usb scart lead for watching videos and t.v. You are going to need few things like vga to component leads and then got to take the connection. last month I also got my connection to my notebook and running smoothly.
Not without some form of interface, you won`t - USB is a digital serial port, whereas scart is not a serial connection. There has to be some form of conversion taking place.

ooh - buggr. When I had the post on the editing screen, the pinout data showed as a table - when I posted it, it went to an unreadable list.

Kit is available for doing what you want, Nikkai make a scart plug thingie, which gives freeview fuctionality, and includes a USB connector - prob. about