Japanese Akitas

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy71

Reaction score
A friend of mine is giving away a japanese akita dog as he isnt a good guard dog for his farm. Was just wondering if anybody has any experience of these dogs and could give me some general info, health problems? Behavioural traits? etc. He is 8 months old, had his jabs, microchipped and well trained for a dog of his age. At the moment i have 2 other dogs, a yorkshire terrier and a westy, who both get on fine with other dogs. Are akitas ok with other dogs? I would guess by the size of him he would be fine as he would be the dominant male?(my others are *******). I have met him and he is a lovely dog and just need an excuse not to get him!

I am going to move this thread to the VET forum, I think you will need the help of Apache who will have some experience with the behaviour of this breed, and any other interested members can still answer your thread.

Our resident vet is away this weekend. I am sure you will get your reply when he returns. I would not chose an ex guard dog as a pet. I know a thing or two about guard dogs.

Ok thanks watchdog, the reason he is getting rid of it is because he isnt a good guard dog. He has only had When you approach the gate he just jumps up and starts licking you and rarely barks! He has been around my mates young kids and is protective over them, but yes i appreciate your concern as it is still a very powerful dog. My friend was thinking about getting a dog de bordeaux as his next dog, are these good guard dogs?

Im not too keen on rotweillers (got attacked by one once at work but thats another story!), i love alsatians, but this akita is the one! And he needs a good home. Had him over yesterday and he gets on great with my other 2 dogs, its just the financial and practical side of things i have got to think about.

I would strongly advise against an Akita as a pet. They can be aggressive dogs that have the ability to turn from a nice cuddly pet to a savage guard dog in a snap. I don't care whether he's soft and no good as a guard dog the potential is there.

In financial terms a big dog always costs more to medicate than a small dog. They eat more and take up more space. I wouldn't take it.

There's nothing wrong with a Rotty or GSD as guard dogs.

Please be very careful.

ok thanks for the advice apache, they have a volitile temperament then. I have decided against it anyway, have decided i wouldnt have enough time to look after 3 dogs properly, hopefully he will go to a good home, surely if u train it properly they are no more dangerous than any other big dog. i know they all have different traits but why are you so against akitas? I spoke to my step dad and i didnt realise he had one when he was younger, he said it was the best dog he has ever had! And he has had boxers, alsatians, and springer spaniels.

They are just such powerful dogs with a known nasty streak

Girl, 8, savaged in Akita attack - Local - Halifax Courier

DOG OWNER TELLS OF VICIOUS AKITA ATTACK - Local News - Shields Gazette

Surely something has to be done now about Japanese Akita dogs - Letters, Opinion - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I wouldn't have a dog with such capability in my house.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:00 ----------

Don't get me wrong - I have been bitten by lots of little dogs, but never needed a stitch. There are some snappy cocker spaniels about.

I watched a program once about dog attacks, i cant remember exact details or source but it seemed the police were more scared of akitas than anything other dog. In the footage i saw they didnt attempt to catch one after a attack just shot it.

ok thanks guys i wouldnt have been using him as a guard dog, no need for one where i am. yeah i think i saw that program woz. I think responsible ownership is paramount with all animals but it only takes a split second for things to go wrong. Guess i will stick with the boring girly dogs ;)

My GF had an Akita, but it became very volatile, attacked other dogs (Pointer pup), and was clearly becoming a potential threat to people - Had to be put down before damage was done. Like other large dogs they will test their authority and if they think they are in charge...

Strange how people don't do there research on dogs, my BIL has just rung up to say they have just got one. Now he has never had dogs in the time I have known him just hope he doesn't regret it.

My freind has a very large Akita and it is as soft as brown tack.

It was attacked at the park once by a staffy. Even though it never actually lost the fight/attack before owners seperated them the Akita was traumatised for a couple of weeks afterwards. It is a lovely dog. The local police have even used it for training demonstrations.

I believe the Akita was once bred as a fighting breed ? Perhaps apache can confirm or google lol

Why do you need a guard dog ? If your "guard dog" was ever to attack anyone and it was found that you had that dog for that purpose or trained it for that purpose you would find yourself doing a bit of bird I would think. If it is to be trained as a stand and bay that's one thing but the victim only has to be in fear for the dog to be destroyed and if the victim is robbing you at the time that might well take a back seat to being mauled by a dog trained for that purpose- bad I know that in this country your not allowed to prevent a robbery by force only claim after the event!

I would strongly advise against an Akita as a pet. They can be aggressive dogs that have the ability to turn from a nice cuddly pet to a savage guard dog in a snap. I don't care whether he's soft and no good as a guard dog the potential is there.In financial terms a big dog always costs more to medicate than a small dog. They eat more and take up more space. I wouldn't take it.

There's nothing wrong with a Rotty or GSD as guard dogs.

Please be very careful.
KEEP WELL CLEAR

Next door neighbour has one. .

Day before new years eve just gone the missus was having a drink with her mate over the road from me and she noticed their daughters car was rolling off the drive so she walks over to tell them.

Next thing I know is I see her stumble back off the drive with blood every where around her neck so I get her in the house and I count 16 teeth marks around her neck and throat.

Dog just went for her when their son opened the door.

So if i were you i give it a wide bearth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having been bitten by the last dog we had, she took a chunk out of my mouth I would be very wary of having an Akita in fact I would never have one. Do a google and you will see what they are capable of not a pretty sight.

I believe the Akita was once bred as a fighting breed ? Perhaps apache can confirm or google lolWhy do you need a guard dog ? If your "guard dog" was ever to attack anyone and it was found that you had that dog for that purpose or trained it for that purpose you would find yourself doing a bit of bird I would think. If it is to be trained as a stand and bay that's one thing but the victim only has to be in fear for the dog to be destroyed and if the victim is robbing you at the time that might well take a back seat to being mauled by a dog trained for that purpose- bad I know that in this country your not allowed to prevent a robbery by force only claim after the event!
HE Doesn't......He just said that "it was a guard dog". Not a very good one