Cat started to sneeze

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Spark

Reaction score
I have got two cats and since last night the younger cat (9 years old ) has started to sneeze.

She is behaving normal with eating and sleeping and she hasnt got runny or sticky eyes, also always up to date with annual boosters but cant get her in to the Vets until next week due to bank holiday.

Any suggestions? The only thing I could think of were perhaps hay fever or is it possible she could have got something up her nose as she is always playing in the neighbours garden which is full of nice plants.

I'm not sure mate, however i was thinking along the same lines as apart from the heavy sneezes every now and then, she does seem quite well.

Apache is away for the weekend. If you are worried then follow the disclaimer and seek proper vet advice. I would have thought most vets would be open in the morning as normal. Our local one is on satuarday mornings.

She doesnt seem too bad today but still sneezing a little bit. Going to keep an eye on her over the weekend and if it persists she is definately going on tuesday to the vets. The trouble is, she is an outdoor cat and once she gets let out, then there is no way anyone is going to catch her until she is hungry! So will have to get her in the cat box and take to the vets first thing tuesday morning.

If you have pet insurance, a lot of them have a phone number you can phone to talk to a vet for free. Just a thought.

If you have pet insurance, a lot of them have a phone number you can phone to talk to a vet for free. Just a thought.
None I'm afraid. thanks for the suggestion though.

Hello. Why is it when I pop away for a weekend everyone suddenly posts in my forum!

Number off possibilities here that have mostly been suggested:

1. Cats do quite commonly get things up their nose - the most common being a piece of grass. It can be hooked at the back of the throat so may not be visible in a conscious cat. Treatment is simple removal under a quick anaesthetic.

2. Allergies are possible, but in domestic animals tend to manifest as skin problems rather than sneezing and hayfever like in people.

3. Mild infections are common. 'Cat flu' would be the most common cause of cats sneezing. It's a virus the cat carried for life and can come out under periods of stress. There is no specific treatment as its a virus but antibiotics can be used to control secondary infections.

There are other possible conditions but no need to get into the weird and wonderful at this stage.

If it is no better by Tuesday a trip to the vets would be in order.

let me know how you get on.

Sods law that Apache, always the way!

Well the good news is that my cat has not sneezed at all today and she seems ok, so whatever it was has gone. I am not really sure what the problem was and normally we always take our cats straight to the vets as they were my wifes first children! In fact they are more important to her than I am lol!

If anything changes I'll let you know but now the bank holiday is out of the way then it will be straight to the vets!

Thanks for your reply :)