Seaward PV100

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISSWWW

Reaction score
Anyone testing PV arrays and is either sick and tired of lugging 3/4 testers around or not yet got their testers sorted might like to have a look at the New Seaward PV100 Solar Installation tester

As far as i know its the first Multifunction Tester designed specifically for the safe testing of Solar PV Systems and meeting the requirements of IEC62446.

Have a look and let me know what you think?

I have had a look at this product in detail, I do not do any PV installations, but if I did, I think I would want this bit of kit. I have also had another thought about its use, as more and more PV installations are being installed, any one who does any periodic inspections could use this kit, not only to verify the connections and out put, but verify the effectiveness of the panels themselves. This would allow for a full detailed report, which may become crucial if the feed in tarrif is ever subject to extra conditions, for ongoing confirmation.

If any members who have installed any PV would post a comment, I, and I am sure Megger Mark would appreciate what you think about it.

As always Binky, being honest is the best policy, I did think about the price and it would only be justified if it indeed did speed up the testing process, what I do like about this kit is that it keeps and records all readings, so there is no need to write everything down, and invariably lose notes.

I would be interested in the cost of individual testers though.

Interest doesn't necessarily mean sales - I'm very interested in Jaguar e types, but I still won 't buy one cos the Puegeot I've got does what I need very well, and is about

Atm for what Im doing an extra couple of hours testing isnt that much,

But if you doing bigger jobs and more of them that extra couple of hours could soon run into days.

Makes sense, I have been looking at commercial subbying, which would merit buying decent test gear, but at the mo. I've spent more than enough money setting up, and have to be a bit careful with the pennies until i realise some money on my investment.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your comments, i will keep you updated.

I do hope Blinky that interest does turn into sales, Jaguar seem to do ok so i can only hope (fingers crossed)

There are a number of posts in relation to what test equipment is needed for comissioning a PV installation. The requirements of the UK Installers Guide (and the new BS EN62446) are that we measure Open circuit string voltage, Short circuit string current, insulation resistance and earth continuity (where fitted) and that we record the irradiance. Most of these measurements can be made with a DVM, clamp meter and insulation/continuity tester but this requires some means of shorting out the string and also some mechanism for measuring insulation resistance without damaging the panels (or ourselves).

I've read the bumf on the seawardsolar website and the benefit I see is that I dont need shorting boxes or other contraptions to do the tests - the Seaward tester connects directly to the DC outputs on the string and does the rest. The insulation test can be done on a live PV string - that certainly makes life easier. I guess the other benefit is that I only need to shell out for one calibration each year....

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, based on previous experiences with Seaward kit.

Nothing that you can't do with normal quality and reliable meters.

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, based on previous experiences with Seaward kit. Nothing that you can't do with normal quality and reliable meters.
Are you in the know or was this just crazy timing??

Seaward have just recalled all the PV100 with a technical fault, can you give me the lottery numbers for this week!

Having said that i do think it will be a usefull tester (when its right) and it does do calculations that 'Normal' meters do not.

Are you in the know or was this just crazy timing??Seaward have just recalled all the PV100 with a technical fault, can you give me the lottery numbers for this week!

Having said that i do think it will be a usefull tester (when its right) and it does do calculations that 'Normal' meters do not.
In the know from experience.

The old techical recall one hey, wait for 'the testers are only produced to order' (i.e. no spare stock for replacement) or the 'You will have to send the unit back for repair' and 'the lead time is a couple of weeks'.

Heard them all before.

I would rather put all the money that this tester costs on the lottery.

Latest posts