16 amp and 6 amp breakers on boilers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
how come boiler circuits are either sometimes 6 or 16 amp?.Not forgetting sometimes it is fed off a ring circuit on a 32.I have noticed the 6 amp ones are in 1.5 t+e the 16 amp are in 2.5t+e.The 6 amp circuits tend to be y plans etc is this because you use more 1.5 t+e 3 core etc?tb ryan

boilers usually only need 3A at the very most. dedicated circuits are usually 6A, but nothing to stop you using a 16A radial to the spur or taking a spur from the ring

Any gas boiler and associated wiring and controls MUST be protected by a 3A fuse in an FCU. It's gas regs.

You can feed the FCU from any circuit you like with cable sized appropriate to the OCPD of that circuit.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:40 ----------

I tend to use 0.75mm 3, 4 or 5 core flex to wire up CH systems. 1.5mm is OTT when it's on a 3A fuse.

Any gas boiler and associated wiring and controls MUST be protected by a 3A fuse in an FCU. It's gas regs.You can feed the FCU from any circuit you like with cable sized appropriate to the OCPD of that circuit.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:40 ----------

I tend to use 0.75mm 3, 4 or 5 core flex from the fuseboard to wire up CH systems. 1.5mm is OTT when it's on a 3A fuse.
tut tut tut :^O

Any gas boiler and associated wiring and controls MUST be protected by a 3A fuse in an FCU. It's gas regs.You can feed the FCU from any circuit you like with cable sized appropriate to the OCPD of that circuit.

I tend to use 0.75mm 3, 4 or 5 core flex to wire up CH systems. 1.5mm is OTT when it's on a 3A fuse.
exactly,

I got snagged on this a few weeks back by a gas inspector,

I told him I had protected my cable, if its a gas reg then its down to the gas man to comply,

NOT my problem.

BTW, SFCU with a 5A fuse(I didnt have a 3A to hand),

same here steps - plenty times where plumber has wanted something else done or whatever. always tell them if its their regs and not mine, thats their problem

and most boilers have an internal 2A fuse anyway

Is it really a gas reg? I never knew that, thought it was under manufactures instructions?

Surely larger systems may draw more than 3A?

Is it really a gas reg? I never knew that, thought it was under manufactures instructions?Surely larger systems may draw more than 3A?
not our problem,

we are not allowed to connect gas boilers up anyway,

not unless you are gas-safe anyway.

the only person allowed to remove the cover from a gas boiler is a gas - safe registered gasman.

just leave him a 1mm flex and the rest is up to him,

oh,

if your are really twisted, dont tell him what cores are what.!!!! :D

We always do a dedicated circuit, 1.5 T&E on a 6 amp breaker going to switch fuse with a 3 amp fuse in.

Gas Regulations eh? Must be dangerous stuff, not like this elcktrickery; dead safe. Whoops, sorry, I feel a Gas related rant coming on.

Argumnet with a Gas monkey........."It's in the Gas Regs ......", well if so then 'well done you!'. I only work to the Wiring Regs, so if you want to cross bond your boiler go'ed.....Sorry. I have calmed down a bit now....

Did I ever tell you about the Gas Board Engineer and the Contactors held in with wooden wedges? or the same bloke trying to override a star delta when it was running and pushing the Star contactor in and making the smoke come out? or the same bloke again who meggered a control box at 1000V? or... :coat

Is a 3a fuse in a plug allowed? Plugged into ring. As the plumber I work for used to do this as he wasent part p to get round it. Is this still allowed although looks poo.

I think you can have a boiler on a plug, cant see any reason why not. Would that then mean it would be a 'portable' appliance. Like you say it does look poop.

Alot of the time when i go to wire a boiler in the plumber will have finished and left it on a plug until i hardwire it, but thats just temporary

Oil boilers sometimes ask for a 5A fuse, and can be fed from a socket but usually asks for unswitched socket. As far as Part P goes Part P doesnt discriminate between the way its connected plug or not if its notifiable its notifiable.

I think you can have a boiler on a plug, cant see any reason why not. Would that then mean it would be a 'portable' appliance. Like you say it does look poop.Alot of the time when i go to wire a boiler in the plumber will have finished and left it on a plug until i hardwire it, but thats just temporary
Boilers do not have to be connected via a FCU. They can also be connected by a fused 13a plug with a 3a fuse as long as the socket is unswitched. This is to prove all poles are disconnected. Using a double pole switched socket is not acceptable as you can not tell by looking at the front.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:33 ----------

not our problem,we are not allowed to connect gas boilers up anyway,

not unless you are gas-safe anyway.

the only person allowed to remove the cover from a gas boiler is a gas - safe registered gasman.

just leave him a 1mm flex and the rest is up to him,

oh,

if your are really twisted, dont tell him what cores are what.!!!! :D
Thats not correct, have you been waching too many dodgy builders tv progs.

Latest posts