I need a little help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam

Reaction score
Hi l am a confussed lady who happened to come across this web site, l would like somebody to help me out with my question please, l wish to put a new light in the kitchen to replace the 8 year old light (those modern silver ones with the hollogen bulbs, l wish to put up a new one and put in the new LED lights that dont get hot, at the moment l have GU10 50w in and l have seen LED GU10 50w l think can they be put in the same holders please l am confussed.

thank you.

Hi Pam, yes, most LED GU10 will fit the same holder, on occassion the actual fitting may be a tight squeeze depending on the actual make of lamp you fit, [ I have actually had this in my own house :| ]

have you purchased the LED lamps yet?

there are some good makes out there, but many many more that will only disappoint you with the light output they provide.

BTW, you 'may' be close to me, if so, and if you are concerned in any major way then some free advice is always available if your not miles away. :)

Thank you all who answered me, it helps a lot.

they dont get warm do they, l have a fear of lights getting hot, daft l know.

Warm - yes, but not hot, in the same way as a halogen (or even standard tungsten) does.

n.b. The LED variants are NOT 50W - they may have the same light output, but will be more along the 9-15W level.

can l ask the distinguished member, please tell me if l can replace my 50w halogen bulbs with 35w halagen bulbs instead of the 50w that are in. the light fitting is the modern one l have spoken about before it as four bulbs in the fitting, its the same one l had up but its now been replaced with exactly the same model. the electrician who came only confussed me more and l didnt feel he helped me to understand . please help, thank you.

can l ask the distinguished member, please tell me if l can replace my 50w halogen bulbs with 35w halagen bulbs instead of the 50w that are in. the light fitting is the modern one l have spoken about before it as four bulbs in the fitting, its the same one l had up but its now been replaced with exactly the same model. the electrician who came only confussed me more and l didnt feel he helped me to understand . please help, thank you.
Yes, that will be no problem at all. many light manufactures supply 50w lamps with the fitting, when 35w or even 20w may be perfectly adequate. Did you resolve your LED question, or are you just staying with lower wattage lamps instead?

Doc H.