To all those PV watchers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it very interesting how many views this section of the forum gets, but how little input is ever made by those who view it. So, it goes like this, even if you aren't MCS accredited or installing PV, there's nothing to stop you from making some input, such as a Module review you might have found on the internet, or comparison of inverters.

I have done a lot of my own research into PV, but unless I start to get some input from you 'watchers', I will no longer share any information with you. In fact, I have already stopped except by PM to those showing some effort of their own

Your move !!

Binky,

You know what, I was thinking today driving back from a job I was on with KME where we discussed, very briefly solar pv, that the forum was very quiet with respect to this topic.

To be honest I have a little interest, but I'm not sure if it is worth my while.

Also I am a little clueless as to where the reliable sources on the internet are!

Binky,

As someone who is not comfortable working at height, (where most roofs are located) and self employed working alone, I have no interest in PV whatsoever. Indeed I only looked at this thread as I had seen you had started it. I can however see your point and understand it.

I recently read an item, probably in PE or some such and it was critical of the whole regeneration brigade because of the numbers encouraging entry into against the numbers of prospective customers. I predict it will take some time before there are sufficient customers to support all of the MCS accredited training providers. I myself recently had a quote on having PV installed at my property but felt like I had a double glazing salesman from the 1990's in my living room. Can you believe they even demanded a signed contract and deposit before giving me a quote for the work!headbangheadbangheadbang

property but felt like I had a double glazing salesman from the 1990's in my living room. Can you believe they even demanded a signed contract and deposit before giving me a quote for the work!

This is what the PV industry was desperate to avoid from the outset but has failed. I have the necessary qualifications and the beginning of a QMS but will not be making a bid for MCS at this time, I will keep reading and occasionally making a comment this forum on PV and others. At the moment I think there is the beginning of a backlash towards FITs!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:51 ----------

Looking again at the figures for recent threads it does seem disproportionally high between views and replies!

I am to busy house bashing so no real interest in pv and having lost a few quid to a solar panel company that went bankrupt anything to do with this stuff makes me think it companies trying to make a quick buck so to speak.

Binky,You know what, I was thinking today driving back from a job I was on with KME where we discussed, very briefly solar pv, that the forum was very quiet with respect to this topic.

To be honest I have a little interest, but I'm not sure if it is worth my while.

Also I am a little clueless as to where the reliable sources on the internet are!
NOt sure who the most relaible sources are either, but at the moment any info is good (within reason), and you can qualify a certain amount of stuff by its source, for instance Southampton university is conducting some long term research, and the Centre For Alternative Technology in Wales is always worth a look.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:57 ----------

+1I do like the look of those german invertors though, the ones that have free software download for trending your solar Kw etc
I take it you mean SMA - downloaded it and found it a bit useless - its set for German weather patterns. Found PV sol to be good, and not restricted to one manufacturer.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:58 ----------

property but felt like I had a double glazing salesman from the 1990's in my living room. Can you believe they even demanded a signed contract and deposit before giving me a quote for the work!
This is what the PV industry was desperate to avoid from the outset but has failed. I have the necessary qualifications and the beginning of a QMS but will not be making a bid for MCS at this time, I will keep reading and occasionally making a comment this forum on PV and others. At the moment I think there is the beginning of a backlash towards FITs!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:51 ----------

Looking again at the figures for recent threads it does seem disproportionally high between views and replies!
There's a backlash against double glazing salesmen, what makes you think the FiT is discreditted?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:00 ----------

I am to busy house bashing so no real interest in pv and having lost a few quid to a solar panel company that went bankrupt anything to do with this stuff makes me think it companies trying to make a quick buck so to speak.
Lots of quick buck outfits - they will die shortly. So sort it out for yourself.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:01 ----------

Binky,As someone who is not comfortable working at height, (where most roofs are located) and self employed working alone, I have no interest in PV whatsoever. Indeed I only looked at this thread as I had seen you had started it. I can however see your point and understand it.

I recently read an item, probably in PE or some such and it was critical of the whole regeneration brigade because of the numbers encouraging entry into against the numbers of prospective customers. I predict it will take some time before there are sufficient customers to support all of the MCS accredited training providers. I myself recently had a quote on having PV installed at my property but felt like I had a double glazing salesman from the 1990's in my living room. Can you believe they even demanded a signed contract and deposit before giving me a quote for the work!headbangheadbangheadbang
I don't mind people watching, but I am getting fed up with no contributions from those obviously thinking of moving into PV, especially when I get approached at my sons sailing club by someone who watches this forum closely but hasn't posted anything - you know who you are. If the 500 viewers of these posts spent 30mins interent searching PV, a huge amount of info could be posted to this forum and a body of knowledge generated for the benefit of all.

Please report aforementioned sales guys to MCS or REA scheme - assuming they are registered. There are a lot of sales guys around trying to use the registered contractors like me to install.

So how come you didn't contact me for a quote Safedepth ??????

I take it you mean SMA - downloaded it and found it a bit useless - its set for German weather patterns.
Binky

on the new sunnyboy inverters there is a bluetooth facility, which not only allows multiple inverters on the same install to 'talk' to each other, but also allows you to access them from your PC/laptop.

I do agree though, the SMA software is geared for the german market, isnt there a UK add-on for it now though? :|

I need to fire up the XP box and have a look,

Please report aforementioned sales guys to MCS or REA scheme - assuming they are registered. There are a lot of sales guys around trying to use the registered contractors like me to install.

So how come you didn't contact me for a quote Safedepth ??????
Sorry Binky,

It was about 18 months ago now and I wasn't as active on here then I don't think.

We are now thinking of moving as well so a good job we didn't do it.

I didn't even consider reporting them, in the same way as I never reported any of the double glazing salesmen who annoyed me over the years, I simply resigned myself to it. Wrong of me I know. Incidentally I haven't got a "thing" about DG salesmen, I have come across good ones.

I have incidentally just installed a replacement CU for a customer who's had PV installed. I did a little work for him earlier this year and recommended a new CU. He said he would be doing it later in the year. The RCCB was tripping without cause. Last week he rang asking if I could change the board asap as he'd had PV installed and it kept tripping the RCCB and the installers couldn't leave it on. The board is changed now and PV on and good. I don't know what the PV was doing to the installation to cause this.

I have the necessary qualifications ........ but will not be making a bid for MCS at this time, I will keep reading and occasionally making a comment this forum on PV and others.
My position exactly Wozzer - I was approached by a company, who wanted installers - he offered to pay for me to do the MCS course, but I didn`t want to be behoven to a particular company, so I did the (NICEIC PV) course myself, last November, and passed without a problem (as you do!).

BUT......I haven`t been able to secure ONE job yet, haven`t installed a system, and, like you, won`t be going down the route of MCS accredition because:

a)I don`t have the money; and

B) I`m doubtful of recouping the costs involved in any decent timeframe.

Don`t get me wrong, I`d love to be doing the installs - I have no problem whatsoever with any part of the proceedure. There simply hasn`t been the option to do one yet headbang

I take it you mean SMA - downloaded it and found it a bit useless - its set for German weather patterns. Found PV sol to be good, and not restricted to one manufacturer.
I installed the "SunnyDesign" software, shortly after doing the course - I`ve also got a PDF of the english version of a german book which was featured highly in the MCS course. Just haven`t had cause to use either of `em yet.

Bit disillusioned with it really, TBH....It was being "sold" as the "next big thing" to be involved in.....and I can`t get any work doing it, FFS - what`s the problem (or is it ME that has the problem?) I don`t know.

edit: I hadn`t been a viewer or watcher of the thread up to now - so I`m not one of the statistics ;)

I can`t get any work doing it, FFS - what`s the problem
we were in the same boat KME,

trying to win jobs that people were pricing stupid,

more like buying work,

after a few discussions and meetings then we decided to try the 'top' end as such, rather than competing for the cheapest price, go for the people that have actually researched it and know what they want,

got the first 3 jobs we priced.!

havent forgot about you KME, things just still not big enough just yet,,,,,,

but, we 'may' be looking to outsource, depends a lot in the area TBH if it is worth it to you or not I suppose.

Hi Binky

Apologise for not chipping in more , PV is something I'm interested in, and as such ll try to add to the PV Section as its seems to be dieing on its feet at present.

Ste

All input greatly appreciated if 500 viewers spend 30 mins internet searching articles, and general info, that's 250 hours between us, or 10 days solid internet searching (and a lot of red bull), or a heck load more time than I've got at the moment.

I shall just chip in my tuppence worth here..

I have a look at these threads whenever new posts are added...

just out of curiosity as to whats going on in this industry sector..

But as of this moment in time I have no intentions of investing in this sector due to the initial startup costs and the long turnaround to recoup any investment...

Personally I think this is also a problem for the average domestic customer...

Initial outlay costs -VS- Savings made...

Also as the housing market is growing toward a more Rental landlord sector and away from privately owned..

(due to general house prices -vs- wages + cutbacks & recession)

The poor tenants who would save on cheaper heating bills cant afford or authorize fitting of any PV panels..

and the landlord just ramps his rents up to cover his overheads....

So my gut felling is with the economy that way it currently is then demand for Solar PV is NOT anywhere near as large as what is sometimes projected by manufactures and/or Governments..

However that could all change with changes in the global economy.

But in the meanwhile I will be watching my business costs carefully and being selective about where to invest time & money looking for work.

:Salute

Hmm interesting, as per usual the great and good of this forum have responded and contributed as much as possible:Applaud:Applaud

And the person I was having the biggest dig at and all those other watchers - nothing at all

Just in case anyine is interested, I had a solar install carried out on my property on March the 22nd this year, a 2.35kW sytem (10 panels) with a Sunnyboy inverter. Pleased with the system and have had a FIT payment frrom Scot Power now, so it is good to see a return on my outlay now. Total generated power now reading 970 kWh.

No probs giving out the figures, and no regrets about getting it done.

So kit and install was just under 10k, best guess is that I will get back about 1k/year, so far I have been paid

A friend in M107`s neck of the woods had a 4KW system installed a short while back.

He is apparently getting an average of 22KW per day on a good day, and 11KW on overcast days - sounds like a good return to me.