Ending a phone contract early

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have a T Mobile phone on a 24 month contract. When I took it out a factor was signal. I looked online and they claimed that for my postcode there was a good signal. As I have been working in Blackpool for most of the time its not been an issue. However now I will be in North Wales back at my home (where they say theres a good signal) I find that there isnt. In fact it says NO Service or Emergency calls only.

I have a new job and will be on call so need to be contactable. I am looking at changing to Vodaphone or O2

I still have 15 months to run on the T Mobile but the phone is not useable because of the poor signal.

Do you think they would be sympathetic?

They have no option really Rev, ask them for a transcript of the call if they don't play ball!

There is another option they can provide a repeater station for your home, they are out there and they are NOT that expensive either, this would boost the signal.

you can buy out of the contract at any time. but if you have 15 month remaining, it can be expensive

i would complain that there is no signal even though they said there should be. maybe read T&C's?

They didnt exactly say BUT I checked their coverage map with my postcode and it came up with a good signal. repeater? sounds a good idea as I can keep the phone and contract. The main worry is being on call and not being contactable

Have you enabled the Tmobile - Orange roaming option?

I find that works quite well, but as I'm traveling about I do have the 3G disabled otherwise it hammers my battery looking for a signal,,,, I also miss calls (i.e. "the number you have dialed has not been recognised") sometimes with 3G enabled

If you were changing provider I don't think that your existing provider will be very helpful.

Doc H

Where i live the only ones that work well are o2 or vodafone. I made the mistake of signing up with 3 for 18 months. Big mistake because the only place i could get signal was outside. They are a nightmare to get out of contracts and they don't like losing you. I went back to 02 and won't change again. My daughter brought a laptop with a vodafone contract trouble is she can't get 3g with that so it doesn't work actually at present there is no 3g in my area. If i was my daughter i would go back and say i had been misold something but she doesn't seem to worry. If they say you have signal in your area and you don't hopefully you should be able to get out of the contract.

But if it was sold to you when you lived in an area that has good signal, where you worked has good signal,,,,, then it's not really their fault that you have moved now is it?

Sorry rev, but I think you're going to be stuck with it:(

But if it was sold to you when you lived in an area that has good signal, where you worked has good signal,,,,, then it's not really their fault that you have moved now is it?Sorry rev, but I think you're going to be stuck with it:(
When I bought it I was in Blackpool but still checked coverage in my house in N Wales with postcode checker which came up as 'Very Good' so with that in mind I took the deal. Anyway we'll see what happens on monday.

Just need to suss how to enable orange coverage on my phone and that might help

I did that and it tells me to select 'automatically select network operator' which then tells me 'already registered to network' so no option to actually change to automatically select. The link gives info but doesnt exactly tell me how to set it up

I've been having problems with my vodafone 3G which has not been working the past 3 days, trouble is my laptop is also vodafone 3G so I'm using the mobile on dial up speed ffs. Takes ages to load posts. Ove always had good 3G here but there is definitely a signal problem. My mate upstairs 3G not working either on vodafone.

I rung them and they told me to update my iPhone software, 2nd call told me the chips in my laptop and phone needed renewing so they are sending new ones out. Ffs it's their masts that are the problem. 3rd call they admitted engineers are working on the Maidstone mast. I'm worried if it don't come back up am I stuck in these contracts too? Not too long left. Everytime I've rung them saying there's no 3G and have a bit of a go politely they knock

I think it must be automatic now...Just set your phone to auto network or whatever it is

Maybe switching it to 2G only will give you a better signal,,, I've had to do that :(
That was it - I went to T mobile shop today and thats what I need to do. I'm going back again tomorrow night and will be there for the week so will try it. Also T Mob ringing me there (landline) to do some 'diagnostics'

Can you believe it - talking of ending contracts early. I asked BT to transfer the BT landline, Broadband and TV package to my house in N Wales - on 12th Sept - well it seems they thought I meant 12 Aug and if I want it swapping back its a 10 day wait - so its dongle for internet at the flat for a while!

To get my orange phone to use T Mobile network all I had to do was text 'YES' to 2121. Sent 2 text messages and told me to turn the phone on and off, then it's worked well ever since.