Cat 5 Daisy chain

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My colleague wired some Cat 5 outlets as part of a loft conversion. The customer wasn't sure where the PC was going so asked for 3 outlets. We made her aware only one could be used at a time. He wired the 3 from one to the next. It appears only the last outlet will ever work, not any in the middle of a run. Anyone ???

If this cant be done the only way round it i can see is to make the plates double, with an in & out and fit a patch lead in both. The customer then can choose which outlet they want to use by removing the patch & plugging in the PC. Remember this is one line with only one outlet needed at any one time .

Bad wiring?

Just luck that the last one works?

Not sure if the IDC's are suitable for 2 wires on these normally?

Tell them you need to rewire it and fit a switch! ;)

Each outlet should go back to the hub but if you're only using one pc then it should not matter to much.2 pcs won't work. Best bet is to check the wiring in the fist 2 outlets.

My colleague wired some Cat 5 outlets as part of a loft conversion. The customer wasn't sure where the PC was going so asked for 3 outlets. We made her aware only one could be used at a time. He wired the 3 from one to the next. It appears only the last outlet will ever work, not any in the middle of a run. Anyone ???If this cant be done the only way round it i can see is to make the plates double, with an in & out and fit a patch lead in both. The customer then can choose which outlet they want to use by removing the patch & plugging in the PC. Remember this is one line with only one outlet needed at any one time .
you will only be able to use one plate at a time but as long as all the cat 5's are terminated thru the plates to the last then any ONE should work, altho i would say this should have been wired direct back to router for EACH point not all looped on one data cable ;) we have 13 ports and any or all of ours can be used at any time due to it being installed as a proper network system. :p

Badge,

If your cctv recorder is connected to a network then you can set up a fixed internal ip the external ip form your isp would then be irrelevant, as there are other ways of connecting to your net from outside even if it does not have an fixed internet ip?

Slips sorry for the hijack!

The Cat 5 cable was already in the loft before we started. The customer did not want to pay to reconfigure the wiring at the feed end and purchase a hub for the loft as she only intended to use one PC up there, she just was not sure where it was going to live. A year on now she wants to move it in the loft but the other outlets wont work.

It cant be the wiring as any outlet will work if its at the end of the line, only the middle ones wont work. It tests out ok with a LAN tester. We thought it must be the outlet itself, so swapped them but it made no difference. I am wondering if its something to do with the twisted pairs & frequency, the outlets in the middle missing data ?

Can't see a problem with twisted pairs, as you could have patch connections or additional routers or ethernet switches that would also introduce untwisted sections.

Doc H.

Whats the trouble badger ?Not quite sure i understand...
my cctv system (old dvr) worked fine on ddns but since upgrading to a bigger and better machine called a dm, the dedictaed micros cctv software that connects remotely to the cctv machine doesnt have the option to put a dynamic ip setup into the programming so ive had to order a static ip address,. :p

thb canoeboy im not a massive fan of ddns as it has to connect to the ddns server every time your dynamic ip changes so for cctv remote viewing static ip address are far better imho ;)

If wired correctly you are only using the orange and green pairs. Ignore the brown and blue. I reckon you have a crossed or miswired pair on the first or second socket . if the last port works then the cable is obviously ok so it MUST be the intermediate 2 ports. Pull the wires out and reterminate them, better still crimp them out on IDC connector blocks. get them from CPC................ :coat

I am watching this thread with interest as this is one part that I am interested in.

I always thought that it was possible to use more than one pc on a hard Cat5 wired "daisy chained" outlet system.

Bit of a pain in the arse to have each Cat 5 outlet point as a radial.

Dashed my hopes now. :(

Could it be that whoever terminated them used both termination standards on different sockets?
Yep I have done that before, wired to T568a instead of T568b standard. Quite easily done.

I am watching this thread with interest as this is one part that I am interested in.I always thought that it was possible to use more than one pc on a hard Cat5 wired "daisy chained" outlet system.

Bit of a pain in the arse to have each Cat 5 outlet point as a radial.

Dashed my hopes now. :(
Standard is to run everything back separately...I put 1000s of the d4mned things in!

However, and it is a dirty fix, use the 2 unused pairs if it is C5e or less!

You can buy converters/splitters from CPC and elsewhere. All they do is split out the 4 pairs into 2 pairs, and then swap the brown and blue pair onto the green/orange connections. They are basically a 'Y' splitter I think CPC call them cable economisers. OR make your own. This way you can use 2 PCs on one cable.

Bit of a Jimmy Krankie really...it's not big, it's not clever BUT it works!..................................awaits to be shot down in flames........... :coat

or a switch,

about 20 quid if I am thinking right,

I have one a guy gave me on a job a while back,

apparently it wasnt fast enough for whatever he needed,

does the job fine for me to stream stuff from my PC to the Wii to watch on the telly,

well, it did until I wiped it all out and now I dont have the streaming stuff installed anymore, :_|