possible to have zs lower than ze?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where ze cannot be obtained in its own right? i.e supply and bonding cannot be isolated

correct my ze value will not be ze but? a proof of good earth only?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:26 ----------

yes pc almost but i think i have a scenario

edited title pc

NO, Zs can indeed be lower than Ze,

not normally by much though,

are we talking about a normal TN situation here?

in TT it will often be much lower, if you read Ze or Zs and not Ra, this is why an Ra test should be carried out.

industrial nature and large and short run cable

tncs steps

what supply though Lee?

TN ?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:29 ----------

sorry Lee, missed that, it could well be a little lower, and esp if industrial, you will have a load of metalwork (possibly) going to earth that will drag your readings down,

perhaps by quite some amount,

something that I couldnt quantify TBH.

hmmm. 11kv transformer adjacent dis panel

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:31 ----------

tn-s?

nothing other than a loop test at the origin with bonds connected side post #4?

however i still believe its possible even if obtained properly! ?

Yes Zs can be MUCH less than Ze (not correct symbols but as usual don't know how to get them on the forum and it seems that we all know the meaning.

What is the issue?

What is the expected Ze why are you questioning it?

so parallel paths can reduce the loop resistance more than the line added to it. champion

the LINE IS part of the loop test,

the clue is in the wording,

LOOP impedance,

the line is a part of the Ze reading, the only time it isnt is if you are doing an Ra on TT ,

Im not sure, but have you grasped the idea of these readings and what they represent?

EDIT, cos I said resistance too, :(

Ah I see, I meant at ze, I then add a x amount of impedance being the line of the circuit for which zs is got