Thinking of taking on an apprentice.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunx

Reaction score
Hi,

A lad has had the initiative to ring around looking for a job, he has organised a training place and now he needs a job. I am really tempted, it would be nice to teach someone! But is it a good idea.....?!

Dunx

Have you the time to train him. I tried one once but he was not quick at learning so cost me money on jobs because he slowed me down to much. At the moment i have a self employed lad that has been in electrics for about four years so he can be left to get on with things. My suggestion would be give him a try for a few days to see how quick he will learn before you make any permanant decistions.

Hi,

Yes thats the plan, I have agreed to give him a months work experience and see how it works out!

Dunx

I have recently taken on an apprentice and although he is not making me loads of money now he is an investment for the future of my company and I am able to get grants totaling

I have recently taken on an apprentice and although he is not making me loads of money now he is an investment for the future of my company and I am able to get grants totaling

I've just taken a young lad on. He's already done his level 2 and done some work house bashing for a different company. He was part of a gang doing council house rewires. 2 days per house they were allowed, but he got laid off at christmas. He's not bad, needs to learn to take a little more time and care but is a great help and saves quite a bit of time on most jobs. Whilst I can just about afford to pay him at moment and he's not really earning me money, he is making life easier. Just signed him on for his level 3. He is aware that should the work dry up he may be laid off, both he and the college are happy with this.

So in short I went for it and don't regret it at moment.

Hi All

Well his work experience month is nearly up and he has been really good! I have been surprised at how quickly he has picked up the use of tools. He has been doing straightforward connection stuff, which I obviously check, and is starting to do basic testing. Anyway I am going to take the plunge, he deserves a chance and i will do my best to keep us both working. I can support him through his training stuff/ tests/assessments and hopefully the work will keep coming in!! Although I keep stopping to draw diagrams he is deinitely already saving me time.

Having a meet with his Dad tommorow to sort out the details, he has already organised his training place with JTL.

Downsides..... His choice of music is complete s**t so I need to work on that. He hadn't heard of Abba, so he got stick for a few days.. He wears his trousers off his ar*e, need to work on that. He has started to chat back, he needs to work on that.

Dunx

Hi AllWell his work experience month is nearly up and he has been really good! I have been surprised at how quickly he has picked up the use of tools. He has been doing straightforward connection stuff, which I obviously check, and is starting to do basic testing. Anyway I am going to take the plunge, he deserves a chance and i will do my best to keep us both working. I can support him through his training stuff/ tests/assessments and hopefully the work will keep coming in!! Although I keep stopping to draw diagrams he is deinitely already saving me time.

Having a meet with his Dad tommorow to sort out the details, he has already organised his training place with JTL.

Downsides..... His choice of music is complete s**t so I need to work on that. He hadn't heard of Abba, so he got stick for a few days.. He wears his trousers off his ar*e, need to work on that. He has started to chat back, he needs to work on that.

Dunx
I think you may be jumping in too fast.

I have an apprentice now who is good, he did 18 months as a 'trainee' before getting his apprenticeship?

They are usually good for 4-6 weeks and then drop off the perch.

Tell him you want him to prove himself and you will start him as an apprentice after has done a year. The ball is yours and it's your game

I think you may be jumping in too fast.I have an apprentice now who is good, he did 18 months as a 'trainee' before getting his apprenticeship?

Tell him you want him to prove himself and you will start him as an apprentice after has done a year. The ball is yours and it's your game
Good plan, make the kid hang on for another year before he feels secure.

Wait another year before you can get any funding for him.

Go with your gut feeling.

And make it a condition that you pick the radio station.

I think you may be jumping in too fast.I have an apprentice now who is good, he did 18 months as a 'trainee' before getting his apprenticeship?

Well I haven't got a clue what and how things work nowerdays....

But back when I first went into an apprenticeship with my first employer,

I was on a six month probationary period, so they could suss me out...

before it was all signed official and pucka!

but that was a few years ago... :C

when the charts was the hit parade...

singles were 7" vinyl disc's not people living alone...

the TV had 3 channels..

etc...

:|

TV had 3 channels..

etc...

:|
3 channels, 3 channels, luxury, I bet you had them in colour as well :)

I was in Berlin when they held a firwork display to celebrate the release of coulur TV, we watched the fireworks from the roof of the hotel, then went into our room to watch the rest of the celebration on the black and white TV in the room :)

3 channels, 3 channels, luxury, I bet you had them in colour as well :) I was in Berlin when they held a firwork display to celebrate the release of coulur TV, we watched the fireworks from the roof of the hotel, then went into our room to watch the rest of the celebration on the black and white TV in the room :)
Colour....

I can remember our first colour TV at home....

I was shocked to see that Humpty Dumpty on Play School was purple and green!!!!!!!!

If you take them on as an 'apprentice' with all the stuff that goes along with that (working agreement etc) you lose control and have to jump through hoops to get rid of somoene

If you take them on as a standard employee you can get rid of them easier if they turn out to be useless (upto a year, with exclusions for certian discrimination). People keep up pretenses for a while, but the crown slips eventually. It might take a day or two, but it might take 3-4 months to find out that someones dad gave them a lift to work every day and the boy can't get out of bed on his own.

My advise is to try before you commit and take it from there- you will end up with a better employee and he will end up as a better tradesman with the extra electrical experience

This also works better for him is he isn't the academic type

I read somewhere that you can't make an apprentice redundant......? It seem ed to imply that you have keep them on whatever. It worried me because, worst scenario, I have no work then what happens?!

Dunx

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:23 ----------

Here for example!

Apprentices